Flash Player update for INTEL Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by truz, Jan 27, 2006.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

It's nice that Steve Jobs rushed so hard to get these INTEL Macs on the market for selling yet they dont even have a simple web plugin for flash player! Lets hope he does not rush 10.5 and publish an unsecure macos. I made the switch to apple and Steve Jobs is giving me hints that he played on a windows box to long an hes turning into a mini bill gates $$. :mad:

**EDIT*** MAC INTEL FLASH PLAYER FIX ******

here is two options in fixing your intel mac flash player. my intel mac did not display any flash and I did find a fix (#2) but some of you did end up getting flash player shipped with your intel mac (mine does not have it I checked my dvd's) One of our nice posters here at macrumors.com saved his Safari plugin folder and uploaded it to the net. You have two options in trying to fix your flash player..

1. replace your current plugins in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder with these plugins in this zip. http://formymac.com/MR/plugins.zip (~4MB)

2. You can goto Go -> Applications -> right click Safari (using mac's single button mouse hold control and click) -> goto "Get Info" check the box "Open using Rosetta" This will fix the problem.

2. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my mac and my switch. On the other hand I think its very stupid to release a system thats not yet supported by everything (mainly flash player as I can deal with everything else). Rushing things to the market is never a good thing in business. It only means one thing "$money$". I been reading and people are saying they had flash player 8 running at macworld on the intels. WHY NO PUBLIC BETA?:confused:

3. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

what do you mean? flash player should still run.. and does run... with Rosetta.

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Doesn't run on my iMac Core Duo.

Attached Files:

5. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I dont think flash player would run using Rosetta. I emailed macromedia a week ago tomorrow (emailed them on 21st saturday) They have had 5 business days to reply to my email and they have yet to do so. This is a huge issue with myself as loading ebay.com itself which I goto on an hourly basis for my listings gives a flash player error for mime type. More then 90% of the websites I visit run flash and they all give an error popup saying to download flash player which takes you to the page he has a screen shot above of.

**EDIT*** MAC INTEL FLASH PLAYER FIX ******

You can goto Go -> Applications -> right click Safari (using mac's single button mouse hold control and click) -> goto "Get Info" check the box "Open using Rosetta" This will fix the problem. I'm sorry for my mix up above but this should have been set before shipping the macs.

6. vniow macrumors G4

Er, isn't flash included with the computer? I know the dev kits had an x86 version installed...

7. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

on g5 systems it is.. You can't include something thats not supported.

8. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

9. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I hate even thinking about installing IE on my mac. makes me sick :eek:

10. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Hmmmm.... the more I read about Rosseta and these Intel Macs, the less inclined I am to switch. :mad:

11. wpwj40e macrumors regular

While I have other issues - I have yet to get the message to download flash. I also frequent EBAY. Can you help me find a site that will give this error. Maybe I 'm missing stuff and did not even know ir:)

Or maybe thats why Safari crashes so much for me...

Thanks
    Therese

12. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

**EDIT*** FLASH PLAYER FIX ******

You can goto Go -> Applications -> right click Safari (using mac's single button mouse hold control and click) -> goto "Get Info" check the box "Open using Rosetta" This will fix the problem. I'm sorry for my mix up above but this should have been set before shipping the macs.

Are you using INTEL Mac or G5?

13. wpwj40e macrumors regular

Intel iMac. Just got it about a week ago...

EDIT: Just checked to be sure - under processes SAFARI is intel and under software it is universal binary...

Therese

14. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Here is the fix, you can goto Go -> Applications -> right click Safari (using mac's single button mouse hold control and click) -> goto "Get Info" check the box "Open using Rosetta" This will fix the problem. I'm sorry for my mix up above but this should have been set before shipping the macs.

15. wpwj40e macrumors regular

My box is NOT checked. I am clearly running this native. Can you give me a good site to go check whether FLASH is working?

Thanks
    Therese

16. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

You may need to goto http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash and redownload flash player as I had to myself and it should show you installed it correctly. Then goto ebay.com and refresh the page and if you see moving Luxury Gifts on the main page your doing good :) Once you install flash player it will say you installed it correctly if its working now. Keep me posted on your status

There does seem to be a HUGE performance issue tho loading flash as its laggy for myself and I'm on a cable modem 8mbps (upgraded roadrunner via brighthouse) and its not this way on my windows box, pages seem to be slugish as well. Anyone else after this fix? I'm also running on a 2ghz 20" intel with 2gigs of ram and 256mb vram

17. wpwj40e macrumors regular

I did not download anything yet. I am running Safari natively and I am fine on flash sites. So how come Flash works on Safari for me(not under Rosetta).

Although - maybe this explains some of the issues I am having with the browser crashing intermittantly....

Therese

18. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

You should consider checking the box and reinstalling the latest version of flash player 8. This should fix your issue. Flash should not be running on your intel if you dont have Rosetta running your Safari

19. wpwj40e macrumors regular

Well that is the mystery...if it should not be running and I up until now I had not even given it a second thought - why is mine working? Did the INTEL iMac's ship with different software?

I kinda find this bizarre - yes it may have something to do with Safari crashing on me - but so do other apps - which I kinda belive is more related to a memory leak of some kind. But either way why does FLASH work for me and not anyone else?

20. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I'm not sure, but it sounds like it could possible be you not using Rosetta and viewing flash. You should try reinstalling flash player and turning Rosetta on in Safari. This might fix your crashing issue, you should give it a try as you will never know unless you do this. I'm on a INTEL iMac myself and I got it on jan 20th 06 (last friday) and this was my only issue with anything. I have had no crashing, adobe photoshop runs smoothly, flash player was the only thing buggin me and giving me popup errors. I was reading and a ton of people have been getting the same error and this fixed it. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

21. wpwj40e macrumors regular

Could you do me a favor - satisfy my curiosity and tell me what plug in you have for Safari? Just go to HELP and click installed plug ins. Wonder if your are the same...
    Therese

22. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Shockwave Flash
    Java Plug-in (CFM)
    QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4
    QuickTime Plug-In 7.0.4
    Java Plug-in for Cocoa
    iPhotoPhotocast
    Java Plug-in
    Shockwave for Director
    Shockwave Flash

Don't know why I have two quicktimes and two shockwaves but I'm about to fix that ;)

23. wpwj40e macrumors regular

I have the following:
    iPhotoPhotocast
    QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4
    Java Plug-in for Cocoa
    Shockwave Flash
    Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22 — from file “Flash Player.plugin”.
    QuickTime Plug-In 7.0.4

Appears we are slightly different - Only have 1 SW versus your 3 and 2 quicktimes:)

So clearly - different sets of software are shipping. That would help explain the variety of problems that some have and others don't...

Therese

24. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

What I heard is that the intel macs ship with an intel-ready version of Flash Player 7 preinstalled and ready to go. If you subsequently download and install Flash Player 8 from Macromedia's website, that would be a bad idea right now, because Flash player 8 has not been ported to a universal binary just yet.

I don't think Macromedia has the original universal version of Flash 7 for download, so you would have to get it off your installation disks.

25. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well I just got my Intel iMac started up and I can view Flash sites without any problem and I haven't changed anything since the initial boot up. Did you happen to re-install the OS when you got your iMac? If you did maybe that changed come intial preferences that came on the OS and prevented it from working.