flash transparency on mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by the full wonty, Apr 4, 2006.

1. the full wonty macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've created a website with flash dropdown menu's. The background of the flash movies need to be transparent but on mac they're not. Is there anyone who can tell me how to make them transparent

thx

2. sapereaude macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how your loading this, but I believe all your looking for is the wmode="transparent" setting. Your embedding code should look something like this:

<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="w" height="h">
    <param name="movie" value="yourswf.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <embed src="yourswf.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="x" height="h">
    </embed>
    </object>

3. the full wonty thread starter macrumors newbie

i've done that, but it's not working, maybe if i give you the url you can chek the code. Are you on mac?

www.asasedimuecovillage.org

4. sapereaude macrumors newbie

5. the full wonty thread starter macrumors newbie

could the problem be that i used gif images as the buttons instead of png?

6. sapereaude macrumors newbie

That's not working on my Windoze machine either.

Is that background color part of an image or the background of the flash document. In order for the transparent wmode to work you need to not have any solid art over the "stage".

If I understand what you want to accomplish, and I have correctly identified the problem, I would probably reccomend you set that link art as native flash/vector objects rather than as images. It would end up quite a bit cleaner as well.

7. neut macrumors 68000

neut

PC/Firefox ... doesn't work.

Don't use images; create the text and drop shadow in flash (easy if you're in Flash 8 Pro) not Photoshop.

You're symbol roll-overs are breaking as well. You're getting closer.

peace | neut

8. the full wonty thread starter macrumors newbie

okay guys, thx for the tips i will try and see. Strange that you say it isn't working on pc/firefox cause i don't have this problem, at least the homepage should be okay, the other pages i still have to change...

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Ahh, now i see what you mean ... the white box. Yeah, the first page is working. I thought the that special sauce color was supposed to be screened as well. So, it is working in Firefox (PC) ... at least the flash part.

peace | neut

10. sapereaude macrumors newbie

Oh I didn't go deep enough either I guess.

There is no wmode parameter in the <embed> tags on the deeper pages, only in the object tag.

See my first post above.

edit---

Just to be clear here, on the first page your object and embed tags look like this

<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="120" height="100">
    <param name="movie" value="superadobe.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <embed src="superadobe.swf" width="120" height="100" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

and on the deeper pages that <embed> tag is missing the wmode="transparent".

11. the full wonty thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, i've worked without the gif's , can anyone check the homepage for me now? I'm waiting to change the other pages untill the homepage is okay. i'm working with the mx version so the shadowdrops will be out i guess...

www.asasedimuecovillage.org

12. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Hey, that works (Safari/Mac); I like it better without the drop shadows. :)

The symbol rollovers do not work (if they're supposed to).

Lookin' good. :cool:

peace | neut

13. the full wonty thread starter macrumors newbie

this is the best news i could get, it were the gif's indeed, thx for the cooperation, i've been trough 25 forums and no one could help me thx guys