Flash tutorials?

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jul 8, 2002.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Anyone know where I can find some straight - forward Flash tutorials?

hitman

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

3. Solipsys macrumors member

Flashkit.com

Is by far the best. You might also want to pick up a copy of the "Masters of Flash" book. It's a couple of years old, but it's definitely good for learning how some of the more esoteric interfaces are done... since it's old you can probably pick it up for cheap too.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Flashkit.com

pick it up where? barnes?

5. Solipsys macrumors member

New one out...

Well, I'm sure Amazon.com etc would have it... I just did a search and low and behold, there's a new one out for 2002... "New Masters of Flash." It's $60 though, and for that price I guess finding online tutorials is the better way to go. If you're really interested in cutting edge interactive design for the web, check out sites like:

http://surface.yugop.com/ (requires a fast mac...will crash on older ones)

http://www.noodlebox.com

http://www.meta.am

These were all done with Shockwave (which can encompass Flash projects), and is actually much better for creating unique user experiences... plus Director 8.5 includes true 3D functionality, unlike 3D simulation in Flash using Swift3D or Vecta3D, which is where the web is going IMHO.

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

scripting in shockwave is a lot harder too, I think, but I think you can do more stuff in it

3d is great, but you can do some pretty awesome things in flash too

check out
    http://www.subform.com/viragelic/

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

the learing curve for flash is high.... for dreamweaver its a bit lower...

i still cant figure out that action script crap... i guess its because i gave up a while back and havent spent much time on it. still trying to figure out dreamweaver. but its worth it...because it will pay off.

hopefully.:D

8. whawho macrumors regular

Hillman Curtis Books

I learned most of my flash from the hillman curtis books.....But that was on versions 4 & 5...he has a new book out but I don't think it covers MX....you might to check his books out though...Also another good flash resource is moock.org....

9. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I also got Adobe Illustrator 10, but I have absolutly no idea what I can use it for and how to use it. Any answers?

hitman

10. Choppaface macrumors 65816

you can basically draw stuff in AI 10. AI 10 creates (for the most part) vector art, which you can then import into flash. you will probably find creating stuff in flash a little easier in AI since there are fewer tools, although once you have a little time with AI it should become relatively intuitive, and it's often easier to do something complex in AI than in flash because of all the things AI has to offer.

actionscript is important, and its relatively easy compared to other languages. keep at it, and use the actionscript dictionary often :D

11. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...apparently I'll be looking to these tutorials pretty soon...

I finally registered a domain for myself and will be working on my site in the near future...

I'll do most of it in Dreamweaver...as I'm not going all for the Flashed-out deal...just something that shows creative ability and showcases what services I can offer... ;)

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hey Eye, I dunno if anyone has given you a 'base model' of how to go about designing a site. But this is my general M.O.

I design the whole thing in Illustrator (graphics, text, photos placed, etc.)
    Then I export the whole thing as a .psd file, 300 dpi. Go into PS and do any effects and whatnot. Also, I redo the pics, replacing them with original tiff files. I then dump the res to 72, and save it as a new "low res" image.

This makes it nice, since I can redo any aspect of the site for a print campaign, if need be. :)

Then I take the 72dpi file into Fireworks, slice it up and save images. Then you can use a "tracing image" in dreamweaver. All you do is draw layers, much like pic boxes in your beloved Quark, and place in the graphics you cut up in Fireworks.

Enter in the body text, your links, and voila! Easy web site. I might make at least one graphic on your site dynamic in Flash, just for inetrest. And to show that, yea, you can do flash too. :)

It's a pretty easy way to build a site, and it's pretty intuitive for us print guys.

And, i'm also here for questions.

m

14. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

What is the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator?

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Photoshop is pixel-based graphics...

Illustrator is vecor-based graphics...

totally different... ;)

16. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

also... photoshop is a painting program.

illustrator is a drawing program... used to do vector logos most the time as well as other jobs. it can also be a layout program but i wouldnt advise it since there are other programs out there with that strength.. such as pagemaker, quark and indesign.

18. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Can I use Illustrator, like Moxiemike said, to create a template or at least menu images etc for a webpage?

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

yea. i would actually recommend illustrator for that, as export to photoshop is easy as cake.

If you were gonna do a brochure, or catalog, you'd use InDesign. Or Quark if you're a masochist.

Bt for a web menu, or page template (which you'll typeset later in Dreamweaver or GoLive) I'd surely go with illustrator.

M