Flash Universal Binary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by meepm00pmeep, Sep 21, 2006.

1. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

i did a search but couldn't find anything on this... so does anyone know or can guess when a Universal Binary version of Flash will be available? 2007 or later?

2. meepm00pmeep thread starter macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

3. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Oh, I've never actually used the standalone player. What do you need that for? Surely if you're testing Flash files you could just knock up a quick HTML file and use the browser plugin?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Runs just fine... :)

Uses quite a bit of memory (real and virtual), though, so I wouldn't try it with just 512 MB installed, 1 GB is the minimum and 2 GB preferred...

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

He's not talking about the standalone player either. He's talking about Macromedia Flash 8, which is the application used to create Flash content.

I can confirm that it at least runs in Rosetta, although I don't use it (just have it as part of Studio 8) so I can't comment on performance.

6. trevorhartman macrumors newbie

Flash 8 (the development app, not the player) runs fine untill you create a decent-sized flash site. Then it bogs down quickly and progressively runs slower. :eek: I'm quite dissatisfied with it running on a new MacBook Pro, Intel Core Duo 2.1ghz with 2 gigs of ram. Adobe REALLY needs to release a Universal version!

That's my experience with it anyway...

-Trevor

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Don't worry, Flash MX 2004 never ran well on PowerPC machines, either.

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

flash runs really slowly under rosetta. if if you set it for 12fps it will preview at about 5fps.:mad:

9. trevorhartman macrumors newbie

i noticed...it's terrible!! especially when I typically develop for 31 fps. at least the standalone player plays decently, compared to testing the movie inside the development environment..

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Flash 8 is lousy in Rostetta so I have it installed in my XP partition under Bootcamp. I think it's Adobe's way of getting us Mac users to convert to Windows just as they probably agreed to do with Gates.

11. trevorhartman macrumors newbie

if you develop all your flash under bootcamp, does that mean you're running all your other apps windows? studio 8? photoshop? i bought a mac so i could enjoy the benefits of os x.. i could run everything in bootcamp but that'd kinda defeat the purpose of having a mac in the first place.

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

That's exactly my point, but unfortunately Adobe have the monopoly on this stuff and until they move their butts on this some of us who use this software regularly don't have much choice.

PS is running under Rosetta for me because I refuse to use it in Windows (... as my fans blare and my work lags...)

13. trevorhartman macrumors newbie

ah. i have to have everything in one OS cause I need it all simultaneously. so are there any rumors on flash 9, or studio 9 coming out? they must develop a universal version of that...

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

There will be no Studio 9, Adobe now own Macromedia and they will release (sometime in 2007) various apparitions of CS3 which will incorporate Macromedia products. Let's just hope Adobe don't screw them up.

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

While there may not be a product called Studio 9, the Studio apps (most of them at least) are going to be released as Universal Binaries in the next release. Flash is certainly one of those that will be released as a UB as it's a really important app to a lot of people, and heavily used on the Mac.

16. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Er yeah that's what I just said. There will be no Studio 9, the Macomedia components (which will be called Adobe Flash, Dreamweaver, etc) will be part of a CS3 configuration.

Flash as a UB will be released as one of the various CS3 suites. :rolleyes:

17. anna00anna macrumors newbie

What a convert MPEG TO flash files?

What a convert MPEG TO flash files?

http://www.flashconverter.net/mpeg-to-flash/

Flash converter Amor SWF to Video Converter is a powerful utility that supports to convert Macromedia Flash SWF files to MPEG AVI or VCD SVCD DVD compatible MPEG files including movie clips, action scripts and audio in the Flash movies.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i wish we had a shockwave universal plugin. i rarely use it, but some times its required and i realized that its still just PPC only.

19. jowie macrumors 6502a

Bah

Unfortunately I find that Flash 8 under Rosetta bombs without warning most of the time.

How long do we have to wait for Adobe to get their thumbs out for Photoshop and Flash?

:confused:

I may end up just installing Boot Camp...