Flash vs. Harddrive?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mufasa, Sep 29, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Why did apple choose to use a flash memory, i understand its the ne wbig thing but wuts so good about it. I thought about it and i think maybe it makes the music and videos run smoother than a harddrive or something. Can anyone tell me the difference?

2. macrumors 6502a

Four20

3. macrumors 6502

..consumes less power too. I think it was the right move.

Adam

4. macrumors member

i could do whatever i want with an ipod touch with the flash drive run, jump, jog, walk, play baseball, basketball, tennis, mow the lawn, and it would still work. Try doing that with an ipod classic with a hard drive and it wouldn't work right after a while. That's the one and only advantage in know of flash. theres other ones just not sure of anymore.

5. macrumors 68020

juanster

from what i understand flash also just works a lot better with the touch screen since it s so much more responsive..

6. macrumors member

More reliable, faster access times, better battery life, less fragile, thinner, lighter.

If it had a hard disk, I wouldn't have purchased it.

7. macrumors member

it also makes it safe to unplug your ipod without having to eject it from the computer

8. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

really?...well why can't i just rip out my USB flash drives?

anyway...flash is better in all ways you can think of, except storage capacity and price

9. macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh, except those are always temporary conditions. Within a few years Flash will be so standard, the young'ins will wonder what we used in the bad old days:p

To the OP, I suggest you take a look at the size of the old iPod minis and the previous gen nanos. That right there tells you enough about why Flash is king.

10. macrumors member

rusty.

My ipod video always worked I don't know why people are bashing hard drives now never had trouble with on on the video bought mine when they first came out.

11. macrumors 604

CalBoy

My old 5th Gen iPod used to have a slightly longer delay when loading songs compared to my nano. There is a noticeable difference. Granted, the newer iPods are probably better than my three-year old iPod. :eek: