Flash Your Headlights!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Butler Trumpet, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

So today I was driving from Louisville to Connersville IN (about an hour east of Indianapolis) to my parents house. And I see this pick up truck on I65 going the opposite direction flashing their head lights like crazy.

Now I have done this for a long time to be nice, but this is the first time I have seen other people do it..... what was he doing you say? Well, in about half a mile, there was a state cop, waiting for speeders.

This post, is to ask everyone to do the same that this truck and myself do every time we see a cop... wait until you get past them, then flash your lights like crazy to let people going the other way to slow down.

I was really thankful for that guy, cause I was doing about 79 or 80 (speed limit 70) and I cant afford any more tickets, cause I got 2 last year.

So thank you random truck, and lets please make this a trend.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Always have done it, always will do it. :cool:

Doesn't always help though, got an AU$180 fine last week for speeding. :(

3. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

guess if other people would have warned you.... then you might not have gotten that fine. Sorry to hear that Mad Jew

and good for you for doing it

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i do it too. warn your fellow speeders. :D it's us against them sometimes. ;)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Here in Pennsylvania about 5(?) years ago, the state troopers tried to say it was illegal to give any signal to oncoming traffic that a cop was up ahead and they would start ticking signalers. The state court quickly said that there was nothing preventing drivers from doing so and any cop giving out a ticket for signaling would be overstepping their bounds and require disciplinary action.

I wish more people signaled. It really is a nice gesture.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

A lot of people do this...i've done it before.....its very nice to see people looking out for one another.:)

Bless

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Done it for years. Thankful when others signal for me too.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I do it sometimes. Quiet frankly I get a thrill out of other people getting caught. I speed all the time and rarely ever see someone flash me. I am just a bad person.

9. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Im glad all of you do it... but, I hope someone reads this and thinks "hey, thats a great idea, Im gonna do it, and tell my friends to do it to"

but thank you do all who flash

girls especially

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Pshh, try all the time. I love watching cops speed around just diddlydaddling but the second someone is 4 over when they're watching for speeders, it's a 100 dollar ticket.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Also, in some places, flashing your headlights is a sign to slower drivers ahead of you to move to the right. If they do, you can keep speeding. Take a drive on the German autobahn and you will learn all about this.

And, despite the urban legend, this is not a signal to gang members to kill you.

Snopes: Lights Out!

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

always do but i have a radar as backup that doesn't really work :cool:

13. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

as a person who has racked up 12, yes 12 speeding tickets in less than 4 years of driving, this is VERY nice when this happens.

And btw, fyi, all my policepeople were of a nother race, and male, its racial profiling I tell you!

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And you still have your license? Hasn't insurance dropped you or something? ;)

15. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Dad's a lawyer, gets me out of them, I pay them off, I go to traffic school (4 times :eek: ) and contest each one. Still, an expensive habit :(

16. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

holy crap... thats a lot.

I got out of one ticket earlier this year... it was the greatest thing ever. Still had to pay, but it never went on my insurance. They ruled it "Faulty Equipment" :)

17. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Hell, my grandmother taught me that trick when I was 17. I've always thought it was clever and courtesous. One day the Karma points I earn may save my butt.

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I gauge by the impression of the on-coming driver. If he/she looks like they could use some help, I'll flash. If they're driving like a bat out of hell in a BMW, to each his own. :)

19. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Haha! you are selective with your niceness... interesting :) I'm generally that bat out of hell so give me a heads up! :eek: ;) :D

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mm hmm. I like to watch in my rearview mirror to see if the drivers I warned 'get' my message. Often I'll just see massive brake lights :p

21. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I've always flashed my lights for fellow speeders. So far the system is working for me. No tickets in three years of speeding... er, driving. :)

22. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah sometimes its hard to tell what people mean since it also doubles as the "get the heck out of my way" signal and "watch out theres a log down across your lane."

One time, driving through West Virginia, I saw a cow on the interstate lanes going the other direction.* I flashed my lights at drivers and called the state police to let them know... but something tells me none of those drivers knew I meant, "Hey, look out! Theres a bovine walking down the road just over the crest of that hill!."

*EDIT for clarity: The lanes going the other direction, not the cow. The cow was actually walking in the right direction considering what lanes it was in...

23. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Wow, smart cow, going the right way and all.... though, he is on the road. maybe not so smart....

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

This is the first time I have ever heard of this practice. Have never done it myself nor have I seen it in the NW Washington State.

25. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

My parents flash the lights, and its always good to be warned by others. I think the speeding system is ridiculous anyway. It think in Australia we have a 3 km/h limit to how far over you can go. Now come on, most cars speedo's are out by 5 or so. I like New Zealands idea. I think their limit is something like 8km.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.