Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I love how people are saying the 600k number, which is scientifically solid is bump because their personal Mac might not have it.

Damn I knew fanboys were delusional but the lengths they'll go just makes me laugh.

Last I checked this was an issue with Java so why is anyone harassing Apple for solutions

Because it was patched by Oracle and Apple waited 2 months to patch their own version. Pretty pathetic.

As if we needed more examples of Apple neglecting the Mac. As if stagnant hardware, practically no innovation on them, mediocre as it gets Lion update, lack of time at events, etc.. they take months to compile java and send it out.

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Security Essentials has been more than adequate on my Win7 machine. Of course it is always NAT'd behind my router and I don't use POP3 email or surf warez sites on it.

Yeah since I've been using MSE I don't even think about having to keep the AV up to date. It just does its thing and doesn't slow the PC down one bit.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
How did so many people become so misinformed about the differences between trojans, worms, and viruses?
Who gives a rat's ass what it's called and what the difference is? It's annoying the hell out of those infected and Apple should have patched their version of Java (which is the only one you can use BTW) a long time ago.

Holy crap. Something that can finally infect OSX without any user intervention and people bog down on silly-assed semantics.

LOL!

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Who gives a rat's ass what it's called and what the difference is? It's annoying the hell out of those infected and Apple should have patched their version of Java (which is the only one you can use BTW) a long time ago.

Holy crap. Something that can finally infect OSX without any user intervention and people bog down on silly-assed semantics.

LOL!

It's what the fanboys are clinging to right now.

As I said earlier, it doesn't matter to anyone besides Apple fanboys what it's labeled as.

It certainly does not matter to any of the poor people who got infected. Their data loss could be immense. From online passwords, banking details, hell this is tax season. How many SSNs did they grab and could now be using for terrorist actives or certainly identity theft.

What's truly sad is many are probably still infected now and don't know it, Apple has yet to truly address this in months that it's been out.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Guys I just ran the checker and its showing "Potential issue found at : / ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
/Users/Shared/.libgmalloc.dylib

What do I do to get rid of it ? do I simply locate that area and delete ? never had an infection issue on OSX before.

Edit: Nevermind, I just followed the terminal guide and I think I did it right as the checker is now saying no infection found.

Should we be changing all our passwords for things now because of this?

Last edited:

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Guys I just ran the checker and its showing "Potential issue found at : / ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
/Users/Shared/.libgmalloc.dylib

What do I do to get rid of it ? do I simply locate that area and delete ? never had an infection issue on OSX before.

Edit: Nevermind, I just followed the terminal guide and I think I did it right as the checker is now saying no infection found.

Should we be changing all our passwords for things now because of this?

I have this too what did you do to get rid of it? I ran the terminal but it didn't do anything.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I have this too what did you do to get rid of it? I ran the terminal but it didn't do anything.

I just followed the terminal guide, I used every single command in the guide right to the end. Then when I checked using the checker it said no infection found.

It didn't work at first because I had accidentally copied a space in one of the command lines you have to copy just the command.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
You'd block someone over that? Seriously?

Oh great. Now he's blocked me.
I put him on my ignore list because it was an obvious flamebait post with no redeemable value even related to the topic at hand.

Back on topic:
I checked out the code for that checker and it all seems to be on the up and up. So everyone can use that or the terminal commands posted on the F-Secure site to check out their machines.

If you had one of the mac anti-virus programs already installed then your chance of infection by this particular trojan are basically zero as it will delete itself if it detect one or "Little snitch" installed on your system.

Never blindly trust an install popup that you did not initiate yourself. If you need to update your "flash" be sure to go directly to the adobe.com site to do it.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know how effective this really is. I just ran this and it said no infection was found but then I just read that Apple released a fix. Ran that and it said there was something found and it was removed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.