Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I have a question about plugging a flashdrive into the Mac's Keyboard.
I have a SanDisk Cruzer® Mini (1 GB). It works great when I plug it intot he USB ports on the back of my iMac, but when i try to plug it into the USB 1.1 port on my keyboard, it displays a message saying there isnt enough power to run this device. I've plugged it into USB 1.1 ports before and it's has worked just fine. Anyone else have this prolem?

Just on a side note, why arent the ports ont he keyboard USB 2.0?

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
zap2 said:
does not work for me eiither, just think the keyboard has enough power going to it
See, to me that seems silly. For Macs that dont have front USB ports (basically, everything except the Powermac), that keyboard becomes a front USB port. I plug my digital camera into there without a problem. Just my USB flash drive wont work.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Your camera has it's own battery source. I've used flash drives that do work in the keyboard. Most don't. It all depends on how much power they require and how many other devices you have plugged in.

twopenn'orth

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
On a similar note : I have the same flashdrive and it used to work when I was using it with Panther. But it no longer seem to be working when I plug it into my powerbook usb port (i.e. the powerbook doesn't recognise it being plugged in). Has anyone experience the same problem before? I hate to say it but it does work when I plug the flash drive into the PC at work :mad: It is not my powerbook usb port as other things are recognised when I plugged them in eg digital camera etc

Thanks for any suggestions.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
^ that a hardware problem based on the amount of power getting to the device. I don't see how it could be software related. Anyone see something I'm overlooking?

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
grapes911 said:
^ that a hardware problem based on the amount of power getting to the device. I don't see how it could be software related. Anyone see something I'm overlooking?

Sounds right to me. This is from Imation's FAQs re: flash drives:

May I use my Imation Swivel Flash Drive or Imation USB Flash Drive Mini in a non-powered USB hub, or on the keyboard port on my Macintosh?

No. The current power draw at idle state is about 95 mA (milliamps) for a 2GB drive. The current power draw during read/write is about 145 mA. The keyboard hub, like most un-powered USB hubs, provides up to 100mA and does not provide enough electrical draw for a Flash Drive. Typically all Flash Drives work well with an internal or a powered hub that supplies 500 mA.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
twopenn'orth said:
On a similar note : I have the same flashdrive and it used to work when I was using it with Panther. But it no longer seem to be working when I plug it into my powerbook usb port (i.e. the powerbook doesn't recognise it being plugged in). Has anyone experience the same problem before? I hate to say it but it does work when I plug the flash drive into the PC at work :mad: It is not my powerbook usb port as other things are recognised when I plugged them in eg digital camera etc

Thanks for any suggestions.

That is strange. I have two Sancruzer flash drives (128mb & 256mb) and both continued to work on my powerbook after upgrading to Tiger.

Does your flash drive light up when it's plugged in to the powerbook?

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
discoforce said:
Sounds right to me. This is from Imation's FAQs re: flash drives:

May I use my Imation Swivel Flash Drive or Imation USB Flash Drive Mini in a non-powered USB hub, or on the keyboard port on my Macintosh?

No. The current power draw at idle state is about 95 mA (milliamps) for a 2GB drive. The current power draw during read/write is about 145 mA. The keyboard hub, like most un-powered USB hubs, provides up to 100mA and does not provide enough electrical draw for a Flash Drive. Typically all Flash Drives work well with an internal or a powered hub that supplies 500 mA.
Interesting... well, i learned somethng new today! :)

twopenn'orth

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
That is strange. I have two Sancruzer flash drives (128mb & 256mb) and both continued to work on my powerbook after upgrading to Tiger.

Does your flash drive light up when it's plugged in to the powerbook?

Yes it lights up and is flashing as if it is trying to read it. But nothing happens or rather nothing happens after a few minutes. But when I plug it into a PC it is picked up straight away.

I have tried it on two powerbook running tiger, ibook running panther and an imac running panther? Anyway flash drive doesn't work.
But it works on the first two PCs I have tried.

Any suggestions welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.