Flashed Video Cards - Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by srobert, Nov 28, 2003.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

What are your toughts on PC Graphic Cards flashed to work on a mac. Is it safe? Any glitches?

2. mkaake macrumors 65816

homework

my only advice - do your homework. there's lots of reports out there letting you know in black and white what cards can be sucessfully flashed, as well as those that can't. don't get yourself in a pickle by assuming a card can be flashed, cause there's a good number that cannot.

if you find a card that can be flashed (like just about any matrox card ever made), and a flash utility that seems legit (most are, so i wouldn't really worry about that), then you really don't have anything to worry about. just follow the instructions.

i just recently flashed a matrox card... nothing major, just a little pci job for my beige, and i couldnt' be happier - matrox has their own flasher utilities and bios on their site, so it was no worries...
    good luck!

matt

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I ask because I was considering purchasing a flashed card on ebay. So, it's a go?

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

hmmm... i'd make sure he has a return policy... some macs are far more picky about flashed cards than others (having to do with their specific firmware...). i guess it really depends on the model he's selling... care to post a link?

matt

5. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

looks okay, but you can do the same thing yourself for a bunch of monies cheaper... just yesterday i was reading over some pages, and there's one page inparticular that lays out in very plain language how to flash that exact card...
    so if you don't have access to a pc or arent' comfy doing it yourself (for prolly half that price or less), then go for it. if it doesn't work, he's got a 30 day guarantee...

matt

7. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks. I ain't got no PC so I'll go fot ot. You were really helpfull.

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You said your Power Mac was AGP graphics, that card was a PCI card. Why use PCI when you can use AGP?

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia