Flashey, Annoying Boot up World Thingy featuring Finder and Question Mark

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G5Unit, Jun 1, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Long title. Anyways. When I start up my PM G5 I always get an icon of the world falshing in the middle of my screen. It saatys there for about 30 seconds then goes away. To take its place is a tiny folder the has a Question mark and a Qinder logo flashing on top of it. My computer works fine afterwards but it adds on like another minute to start up time. I am connecting via airport. Is that the problem?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I renamed my HD once...yeah I know...dumb thing to do....and it did that. I had to reformat the whole thing just to get it to work.

I think I win the prize for offering the solution of a clean install to anyone with a problem! :eek:

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If it's the icon I'm thinking, you've changed your startup disk. Use your bootable OS X install disc, boot it up using the C key at the chime, and find the START UP VOLUME selection. Go into that and choose the hard drive with OS X on it. then restart.

5. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

You can also select the start-up volume under System Prefs -> Startup Disk ;)

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Your computer doesn't know what to use for a startup disk, that's all. You can also seclect the volume to start with by holding option during boot.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ditto.. the first thing you see (world icon) is the computer trying to do a NetBoot, when that fails, it's confused and looking for a startup volume (finder/folder/question mark), then it finds it and boots.

Following the advice to choose your boot disk as a startup volume should fix this.

8. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I did that a long time ago too. I held down option and it took like 1 minute of my G5 powering the fans to the max. I clicked the HD logo with the X next to it. It did the same thing again.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah.. mainly because that only choose the startup volume for that single boot. It takes a long time because all the buses have to be scanned for valid startup volumes.

You should be going to the Startup Disk prefpane in System Preferences.

10. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Ok thanks. I'll do that whn I get home from school. lol.