Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minitrialer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Uk,Suffolk,Ipswich
Hi there, i am wanting a flashgun for my nikon d50. I am wanting to use it wirelessly, and hope to be using it on BMX/MTB riders doing jumps etc. and placing it underneath them etc. I also hope to use it in other ways when i get used to it etc.
A few questions:
What flash do you have to get so you can do continuous shooting?
I know i can't use it wirelessly without some accesories, i.e a cable, or some of the transmitter type things, have you got any opinions or views you would like to share on these items...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-Slave-Trigger-Wireless-Hot-Shoe-Sync-Adapter-T1C_W0QQitemZ200030590658QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3860QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-fit-TTL-off-camera-flash-cable-Jessops-own-SC-17_W0QQitemZ220031366376QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48515QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-Remote-...5QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48515QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know what you think. I have an old hanimex flash from an old praktica. I could use it wirelessly with a few accessories i think but it obviously wouldn't be as good as a nikon one i am assuming.
I have looked at the sb28, sb600, and the sb800 and as people will be jumping over it etc. i have been recommended looking at an even older flash. What do you think?
Cheers.( sorry about the long post, haven't got anything better to do at the moment :p)

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
The big question is, will you be using Pocket Wizards or Microsync's? Im assuming so since you say they will be under the riders, which you probably will not be. IF you are using either one of these transmitters, you dont need a nikon Flash. MAny use old vivitar flashes(Vivitar 285 i think). If you plan to connect with an off shoe cord(you will be right next to the flash) then you need a NIkon flash.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Karpfish said:
The big question is, will you be using Pocket Wizards or Microsync's? Im assuming so since you say they will be under the riders, which you probably will not be. IF you are using either one of these transmitters, you dont need a nikon Flash. MAny use old vivitar flashes(Vivitar 285 i think). If you plan to connect with an off shoe cord(you will be right next to the flash) then you need a NIkon flash.

I agree even the old Vivitar 285 would do fine. The problen is the re-cycle time. You can "continous" but of course that is impossable. I think you ment "2 or 3 frames per second."
That is going to be expensive. What you need for this kind of recycle time is a big flash that accepts a high voltage external battery pack. Also you will need a fairly high guide number. Two companies come to mind, "Norman" ans "Quantum" But the price is about $1K per unit and you'd need several units.

The Vivitar may be much cheaper. They sell for about $80. If you se the poser down to 1/4 or so then the re-cycle time is faster but you might need 4 or 8 strobes and 4 or 8 external high voltage external batteries. The requirement for multiple flashes per second makes this expensive.

Question: Will they let you do this? multiple strobe pop per send durring a race? You'd better ask. Another idea is to use continous lighting. Get some big 500 watt work lights at Hiome Depot. Maybe four or six of them and connect them to an gas powered generator. This would be relative low cost and you could shoot as many frames per send as you want

minitrialer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Uk,Suffolk,Ipswich
Thanks for the replies. I am quite new to using flashes wirlessly etc so i am pretty unsure about what i am doing. I purchased the minicell slave unit. I am using this with an old hanimex tz1, i can't get this to work, is there anything particular i need to do or any settings i need? I am firing the hanimex flash through the minicell slave unit from my in camera flash. I have tried a lot of setting but it hasn't worked.
Thanks again.
Any help is appreciated. P.S i am looking at the flash that you reccomended and i might get one if i know it will definitely work.
Also is this a good idea http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flash-Triggering-For-Nikon-4ch-2-Receiver-y8_W0QQitemZ160037484807QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48515QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Because then if i didn't want to use my in camera flash i wouldn't have to. It could also fire two flashes. I just have to find out what exact flashes it is compatible with, although from the lisiting it seems quite a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.