Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpRoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Denmark
Mjellow

I recently got my first Mac, a Mac Pro 3,1, so I'm pretty much a Mac newbie... :eek:

It's equipped 2x ATI 2600 XT's and is currently running ML 10.8.2. But it just so happens that I have a couple of HD 4870's lying around, so I thought about flashing one of them to boost the gfx performance.

And now comes the question: Is it still possible to use a flashed pc-card in ML 10.8.2 and if so, which guide/tools should I use?

The card I would like to use, is this Sapphire 512 MB one: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=567&pid=265&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Hope you guys can help me! :)

SpRoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Denmark
So, I've done some more searching and found the Zeus-tool, but it only seems to work with SN and Lion -can anyone confirm this?

And will a card flashed in SL work on a clean ML install + update to 10.8.2?

SpRoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Denmark
It should work without problems. The forum member tjlazer has provided an archive of 4870 flash package here, you should try it first.

You are my hero! Just the post I was looking for! :)

With HD4870 in port 2 everything is running perfectly... Unfortunately there is black screen during boot, but it works en SL, ML and Win 7 via bootcamp -sweet!

All I need now is the aux-powercables that goes on the motherboard. Anybody know a good/cheap place to buy that ships to Denmark?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
All I need now is the aux-powercables that goes on the motherboard. Anybody know a good/cheap place to buy that ships to Denmark?
Glad to hear that it worked for you. You can search eBay for sellers shipping worldwide, this one, for example, seems to have the lowest price and good feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.