Flashing a pc video card

Discussion in 'Games' started by w00tmaster, Jul 20, 2004.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2004
    I have ordered a refurb rev a dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac, but the video card on that thing(the FX5200) really, really sucks.
    Since I have 20" lcd(non-Apple) and no need for ADC ports, I was wondering, is it possible to flash a pc video card so that it will work in the mac?
    They both use the 8xAGP ports, so I think it is rediculous to have to pay between 1/3 and 1/2 more for the mac version versus the PC version. I would really like to get a PC version of the 6800, you can get the lower end models for around $300 or so, versus the $550 with the edu discount from Apple...
  2. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Flashing an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to Mac BIOS *might* work, although there are no reports of successful attempts that I could find. The Geforce 6800 is just too new - no one even has the card yet to extract the Mac BIOS from it.
  3. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i dont believe i've seen anyone successfully flash a 6800...
  4. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

You know, those cheaper GF6800's are not equivilent to Apple's. The $300 cards have a weaker core, clocked lower, have less VRAM, and the VRAM is clocked lower. Apple's card is equivilent to at least a $400 GF6800, the "pro" version, but it might be an "ultra" and those can go for $500 easy.
  5. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    It's an Ultra that's coming to the Mac. And the price I've seen are similar to the PC's counterpart.

BTW, flashing will void any warranty for the card and your Mac. It will also hurt the Mac community because you are not helping the development of Mac graphics cards. Very uncool.

Now, if you can spare the cash, just get a real Mac graphics card. It's much better for you and everyone else.
  6. w00tmaster thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2004
    Heh, I think what the community really needs(and what Apple took a step towards when they released the new monitors) is to have video cards that are compatible with PC cards. I cannot believe how underpowered the stock card is on a power mac, the stock card can barely compete with the stock card on the power book. The $300 6800 seems to be able to run cirlces around a mac 9800 pro, which retails for about the same price. I don't need all the power of a 6800 pro, but I would like something better for my money than the Radeon 9800....
    Apple needs more options in video cards(not to mention a boost on their sto ck config) to compete in the pc world.
  7. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I agree. Now that ADC isn't essential (not that it ever was in my opinion), we have a higher chance of being able to use "normal" cards. Other PowerPC systems (such as the Pegasos) don't need Mac-specific cards, so it's probably a political reason rather than a technical one.
  8. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I agree with your comments, but where did you find a 6800 for $300?

I am very sure you are looking at a regular 6800. The one Apple is selling is a 6800 Ultra. Two very different cards. The Ultra should have a price of about $550 to $600 on the PC, like the Mac version of the card.
  9. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

Its interesting that no 3rd parties have come onto the idea of offering Mac-compatible cards. Quite a lot bigger margin to be made on them compared to PC cards.
  10. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    ADC how I'll miss thee.

The refurbished G5 you ordered will come with a DVI port on its graphics card so you do not need to waste time and money flashing anything.

ADC was a great Apple innovation that was too ahead of its time. Do not be surprised if the next standard for computer monitor connectors implements the features of ADC: display, power and USB over one cable.

As for cheaper video cards on the Mac now that DVI is standard on Apple displays, you can forget about that. Components are not what determines the prices of Mac graphics cards; it is the support that we pay for.
  11. w00tmaster thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2004
    Yes, but that is exactly my point. I don't need all the power in the 6800 ultra, but if I am going to pay $300 for a video card, I want something better than a 9800. I think there needs to be more choice in video cards than Apple currently offers...
  12. madoka macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A PC ATI 9800 Pro goes for about $165 at Bestbuy after rebate and pricematch. It's the best bang for the buck hands down right now.