Flashing Earth

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by steller, Oct 18, 2004.

1. steller macrumors member

Guys,
    I have a big question about my mac. Today after coming back from school, I turned on my mac as usual. But then it couldn't start up my OS and show with a flashing earth kind of thing in the middle. I was so freaked so because I just found out my AE card was used by someone and was wondering whether my mac was hacked. I then tried start up with my apple care CD and after a few tries, it works. I am wondering if any of you guys has experienced this situation? N could any of you tell me what was happening? Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the flashing globe icon indicates that the computer is trying to start up from a network volume on a server (netboot). Since those are usually used in computer labs, I assume that's not what your computer usually does.

Most likely, it's a PRAM problem, causing your computer to forget what the correct startup disk was, and start looking on the network before it tried the internal drive. If you're not familiar with it, PRAM is a little bit of memory in your Mac that stores a few key settings such as what disk to start up from and what the sound volume should be at startup.

If you think the person messing with your computer may have done something weird like messed with the Startup Disk system preference, then that might be it. More likely though, if it's an older computer (desktop, anyway... not sure about laptops), the internal battery is dying--they go every few years, and can be easily replaced with the correct battery from RadioShack or wherever. If this is the reason, your clock will eventually stop keeping the correct time when you turn your computer off.

Or, it could've just been a random glitch--they do happen on occasion. Try resetting the PRAM for good measure (hold down command-option-P-R when you first turn on your computer and keep holding it until it gives the startup chime two or three times).

Hope something in there helps.

3. steller thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a million
    it helps. The earth thing is gone. Thanks again.

4. steller thread starter macrumors member

I am wondering if you know this or not. I tried your command option pr restarting trick and after that my server changed back to stanley.local but then after i restarted my computer, it turned back to jay-laptop, which surely isn't my name and i am worried that it might be like opening a door for someone to enter my computer. Thanks

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

PRAM stores key settings, so it might have cleared that setting? I don't know...