Flashing Finder Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhodest, Jul 8, 2005.

1. rhodest macrumors regular

I have a rev a iMac. i just purchased a hard drive that has panther and 9.2 already installed on it. I have tried seven times to fix it, but every time the question mark comes up flashing. I have tried everything i thought possible to fix it, but no luck. Any help at all would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    trent

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just select the startup disk, right now the computer doesn't know what one to use. That's all.
    ;)

Just wondering, what did you do to try and "fix it??"

3. rhodest thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the Pram, the x key, the reset button, the jumper settings, and have closed it and checked everything for the 8th time today. How do I choose the startup disk? :confused: I can't get into anything now (like os 9) because it is a completely new hard drive with the operating systems already installed and i don't have the cd's. When I turn the computer on, all i see is the flashing question mark/ finder folder.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Did you try holding Option at startup?

5. rhodest thread starter macrumors regular

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Okay. Are you sure there is even a bootable (spelling??) volume of an OS on the hard drive?

7. rhodest thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it off of ebay from a seller with over 8000 sales so i assume it works. They said that it was fully tested by techs and said it had no problem whatsoever.

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I'd start looking for some install OS X CDs. ;)

Aside from the fact it would violate the EULA, that should work.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...just because the drive has 9.2 and panther installed on it does not mean they were installed to work on *your* computer. That is definitely *not* a good way to upgrade your computer and unless the seller gave you the original install disks and licenses it is not legal either.

First thing you want to do is make sure your firm ware is up to date - go to apple's website and download/install the latest iMac revA firmware - OS X is very picky about his on earlier Macs. Then make sure you have the proper license to install...then boot from the install cd and away you go.....oh yeah!

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Which clearly he doesn't have any of that.

Like I said, it does violate the EULA of any Mac OS, provided you don't have the original Restore CDs for that hard drive or your computer.