Flashing orange! - my iBook power adapter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by moot, Jun 1, 2006.

1. moot macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    in the great Asian wonderland
    Something strange has happenned to my power adapter on my iBook.

When I plug it in, it now flashes orange at me. Not random flashes, mind you, but timed flashes - like it wants to tell me something. But what? I cant find any other occurances of this on the web. oh, and it won't charge the battery like this.:mad:

If I jiggle it around a little and have a little luck, it then turns green. And it starts charging:eek: . I'm sure this only started happening two days ago.

I have reset the PMU and the PRAM with no result.

Three days ago, before this started, I upgraded from Panther to Tiger. After the upgrade all was well. Is this a coincidence? I have never heard of this bug before. Or did I damage something with the stress of upgrading? My iBook is kind of old (early 2003 type, 800MHz, 14.1, white shell, iBook 16Vram).

Maybe I did something to the logic board. The bottom of my iBook now often feels warmer than before. Also my iBook has a s/n which is in the affected range under Apple's logic board replacement program. But I have never had problems before and so didn't get it changed under the program!

Can anyone help me? Is my iBook starting to die:(
  2. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    It doesn't mean anything according to service manuals.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Weird. Is there another adaptor you could try? I wonder what's playing up.
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Is it Morse code? Maybe the thing has actually gained consciousness. Figures that it'd be a piece of Apple hardware ;)
  5. moot thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    in the great Asian wonderland
    :mad: :mad:

Well, my iBook has now died. It will run if I have a charge, but it just wont charge anymore. It just flashes orange at me.

Looks like a trip to the Genius bar tomorrow.