Flashing Pixels

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by wayne091189, Dec 6, 2002.

1. wayne091189 macrumors newbie

Hi

I seem to be having a problem with my NEW Apple Studio Display 17inch LCD which I got about 8 week ago.

The problem I am having with the monitor is when I have a dark image on screen, say like a Black & White picture I get FLASHING PIXELS all over the picture. These pixels look like dead pixels but flash on and off.

Also these flashing pixel seem to turn up in any app I use.

I have been trying the correct the problem but with no luck. I have tryed the monitor with a NEW G4 1.25Ghz Power Mac and still having the same problem.

Now here is the real BIG PROBLEM.

I Got the LCD Monitor form a company who sale APPLE PRODUCTS. Thay keep saying too me it is a software problem and ring APPLE about it.

I ring APPLE and thay "say" get in contact with the company you got the monitor from.

I just dont now what too do now. This monitor cost me £800.00 pounds and I am filling very sick at the thought that I cannot get this problem corrected.

Please help someone.

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

This definitely sounds like an issue that should be covered under the product's warranty. Does the product have a warranty, either from Apple or the seller? If the product has a warranty, you should just say that the product is defective and demand a replacement...

3. wayne091189 thread starter macrumors newbie

Flashing Pixels

Hi

Ya it has a 1 year warranty its a new monitor.

But all I keep geting from both company's is that its a software problem not hardware.

I have tyred both OS 9.2.2 AND Mac OSX 10.2.2 but keep geting the same results on t both the macs I have tryed it on My Mac and the new G4 1.25Ghz.

At the moment I just fill RIPP OFF.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

At times like this you just have to be demanding. If they say it's a software problem, ask them to tell you specifically what kind of problem it is and how to fix it, and that this should be done without any arguements since you have a warranty. If they don't explain well or whatever, tell them that if they can't tell you what kind of software problem it is, it must be a hardware problem, and demand that they fix it for free. If they continue to say it's a software problem, say fine, and tell them to fix the computer, and that should be done for free since it's covered by the warranty.

It's unfortunate that you are recieving bad support.. many people usually recieve very good and quick support from Apple (myself included)...

Anyways, remember, that warranty is on your side. Whatever problem there is, you'll eb able to use that warranty and demand them to fix the problem.

Good luck :D

irmongoose

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

where are you? us or elsewhere?

call apple and demand they either fix it or replace it... call apple care or whatever it is you can call for a one year warranty...

i assume you don't have actual apple care? if you do, the monitor should be covered and that should take care of that....

do you have a second monitor you could use while the other one is away?

just get all legal on them... good luck.

EDIT- you said pounds. ok. so UK i guess? hmm, makes it a little tougher. but you can still demand repair/replacement...

6. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Screenshot...

Try for a screen shot using GRAB... a software problem might give you capture of the problem... a harware problem should be diagnosed by first checking to make sure everything is properly connected and that there isn't any accidental damage to the connecting pins etc. on the cord.

If you can get a screen capture of the pixels changing, attach it to a return posting so we can all see it...

:cool:

7. Xero macrumors 6502

this sure sounds like a hardware problem. remember your the customer, so if you make it sound like your SURE its a hardware issue, either apple or the reseller has no choice but to give you a replacement. dont be afraid to "lay down the law" a little bit if either company is reluctant to replace the moniter. tis their duty, and besides, its under warrenty, sheesh. ;)

good luck!

8. iGav macrumors G3

You've had it too long to reject the product under UK law....... the suggested time to reject a product is between 14 to 21 days..... (although it varies from store to store!!) if there is a fault or an issue with regards to the quality of the product!

Your only real option is to demand that Apple repair this under warranty, of which they have to by UK law this is part of your buyers/sellers/manufacturers contract.

First port of call is to call your local trading standards office, they'll put you in the right about exactly where you stand! The second is to mention both the shop where you bought it from and Apple, I've had to report Apple twice to trading standards in the UK within the last 12 months because of pi$$ poor service and pi$$ poor product quality, one potentially being quite serious! the other costing me thousands in lost work time, because of their mistakes!!

Trading standards will suggest you write a letter to both the store and Apple defining the problem and state the facts regarding your legal position as a consumer. Giving them a set amount of time to rectify the fault (usually from 14 to 28 days) and that if the problem isn't rectified within that time, then your solicitor and trading standards will be dealing with it! Although that will likely be unecessary because they'll be very aware of the law and the subsequent legal fee's they'll have to pay when they lose!! You'll be surprised at the clout trading standards have, and they do seem to relish nailing companies (both big and small) to the wall if they f*ck over consumers!!

Unfortunately the UK suffers incredibly bad customer service (in every area!!), but if you go about it the correct way, you could make life quite difficult for both the shop and Apple, and really don't be frightened too!

Good luck!! :)

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I would retunr it and say it did not meet your expectations. :p Yeah liek taht would work... eh you can give it a try. I meen you bought an expensive flat panel, flat screen display, why should you have any problems? Call the company and say you DEMAND SATASFACTION!!! :D

Han Solo "Good Luck, You're gonna need it" :rolleyes:

10. iGav macrumors G3

Actually not a bad approach.... if you bought it from a store, go to the store and make one hell of nuisance out of yourself, if they still won't play ball, raise your voice, making it known to everyone in the store that they're selling sh*t products and are unwilling to help you when you've got a problem, then advise everyone if your vicinity to go to the (computer store here) because they're much better! and atleast value their customers!!

11. wayne091189 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi

Some good news at last. The company I got the Monitor from are going to have a look at it and see if thay get the same effects as I do Flash Pixels.

I hope thay can repair the Monitor or give me a new one.

Anyway at last something is getting done.

PS Thanks for your help peaple.:)

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Your welcome! I like to help :D PLus it gets me closer to 500 posts, YES :D