Flashing X1900 to run on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aneks, Dec 15, 2006.

1. aneks macrumors regular

Pardon my ignorance if this has been covered already. I have been searching the forums and can't seem to find anything on this topic. has anyone successfully flashed a stock x1900 to run on a mac pro? I am seeing some cheap 512mb x1900xt's on ebay and thinking it may be better than buying an under-clocked on from apple for $650.

thanks

2. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Apple's one is only like $400

yes, I'm using a flashed X1900 XT 512MB

here is the howto

http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?article=76&section=other

3. aneks thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the link. tenthousandpercent.com seems to be dead tho' ?

Unfortunately I am in Australia so apple is price gouging out here and the x1900 upgrade is $659.

4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

The link works fine for me?

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

link works, this is probably the method I will use to upgrade in the future, after the prices drop, and all the PC users have grown out of theirs and moved on to the next best thing.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. techster85 macrumors regular

so will the tv out work on a flashed version since the mac version does not have the tv out?

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

9. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a TV.

10. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

tenthousandpercent.com is down right now

it'll be up later this week, I promise (new server)

11. rtdarling macrumors newbie

I have a PC version of an:

ATI Radeon X1900 XT
    Memory: 256MB
    Interface: PCI-E
    Memory type: GDDR3
    Memory clock 594MHz
    Core Clock: 500MHz
    GPU Device ID: 0x1002 0x7249

that I am extremely desperate to "flash", so it will work in my Mac Pro, and I was wondering if anyone could help me ?

I have found several instructions/procedures on to Flash a PC version of an ATI Radeon X1900 XT w/512MB VRAM/memory, but have been searching for days on the internet, and can find nothing about flashing the version of the card with 256MB VRAM/memory (not 512MB) !?!?!

Unfortunately, I am a complete and total ignoramus/idiot/newbie on the subject of graphics/video cards (i.e: I have no idea what any of the specs I listed above for the video card even mean [I just copied them from another website]. Nor do I have the slightest idea of what flashing, Mac ROM, PC ROM, or any of the other terms I keep hearing in these forums mean whatsoever !!!

I do have access to a Desktop PC with a PCI Express video card slot/connector, as well as my Mac Pro.

Therefore, if anyone decides to take mercy on me/help me. Please try to keep your responses/instructions/directions as simple/step-by-step/basic as is possible (as if you were speaking to a 5 year old child).

Any help, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you -

rtdarling

12. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

No one has produced a Mac firmware for that card. It may be possible to modify the 512MB version firmware, but I've not seen it done and no idea where to begin. And, more than likely, the Boot Camp "virtual" firmware that Apple provides is also for the 512MB card.

13. rtdarling macrumors newbie

Thank you for your time/response: I guess I will give up (on flashing the PC card).

Mr. Zarniwoop -

Thank you for your time/response: I guess I will give up (on flashing the PC card), bite the bullet, and pay Apple's inflated/gouging price for an "Apple" graphics card for my Mac Pro.

Thanks again -

Rabindranath Darling

14. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

You'll find people selling flashed 512MB X1900XTs and X1900XTXs on eBay for less, if you're willing to buy a flashed card.

15. rtdarling macrumors newbie

I have no adversity/animosity/prejudice towards a flashed card whatsoever...

Mr. Zarniwoop -

I have no adversity/animosity/prejudice towards a flashed card whatsoever. I will check out eBay.

Thanks for everything -

RD