Flashlights Anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JW8725, Feb 8, 2006.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Well I had bought a new DVD writer for my PC and had undressed it. "Damn wires all over the place, can't even see what wire goes in where, soooo many nooks and crannies, time I bought a mac again," I said to myself in my head. So I thought ok I'll take it outside maybe I can tidy up the wires coming out of the power supply unit too. Well just my luck, fricking dull and gloomy outside, typical English weather. "Wheres a frickin flashlight when you need one?" I thought. Ok I then asked my jolly old friend Google and bada bing, there is a whole community of flashlight nuts!

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?

I marvelled over chrome clad, smooth beamed LED emitting, glow in the dark flash lights. WTF X2?? Why collect flashlights? Wat do they do, shine em at each other?? People are this passionate about flashlights? Anyway theres 1000s of members and yesterday I gave in and thought what the heck and spent £200 on a selection. Now I wonder if I have had a sheltered life and that everyone collects em? Who else has these "high end" erm flashlight things?

Kind note: Flashlight is different to Fleshlight!

Attached Files:

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

HAHA That cracked me up :D :D

Any no I do not collect flashlights, I just have one and that's all i need

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

4. CompUser Guest

Yea, There is this http://www.macrumors.com with mac obsessed people that have nothing better to talk about except for how great macs are. Just kidding...

I see how cars, computers, photography, etc can be hobbies and areas of intrest for people to talk about. I seriously never heard of people that like to talk about flashlights. That is really funny.

I prefer the Mag-Light brand. LOL

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

dude, it's Mag-Lite... get it straight. :p :D

6. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny enough I was about to buy a Mag-lite then I saw this::eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

7. CompUser Guest

I'm so sorry, I didn't know. For Flashlight enthusiasts, calling a mag-lite a mag-light is like someone here calling a Mac a MAC.

Well, they have 12,599 members! HAHAHHA

8. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

maybe... and boy you wouldn't want them to hit you over the head with their mag-lites. (those things are potentially vicious... i know, because one landed on my toe and it sure felt vicious. OUCH!)

now, what is a FLESH-LIGHT?!

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

is it a flash light or a light saber?

They all sit in a drawer, batteries wasting away and used half a dozen times a year for most people.

I don't think I could spend that much for a flash light...

They look cool though.

D

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Isn't is actually Maglite?

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Nope there's a dash ;)

[​IMG]

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Those look very cool. Would I want one, sure why not.

14. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I was thinking the same thing. They look more like light sabers to me.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They don't seem to have a dash anywhere else on their website.

[​IMG]

16. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

17. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I have an awesome flashlight: it's a "shake flashlight" that must be shaken before use. It's actually a pretty awesome: shake for maybe 20 seconds, and you've got light for a few minutes, and you can always shake a little bit more to get some more time. I don't use it as a standard flashlight, but it's handy to keep in a backpack in times of need.

Google it iBlue, just don't click any of the links. ;)
    -Chasen

18. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Ha, and the TV adverts for those things say you get hours of light.

19. CompUser Guest

Remember those snake flashlights by black and decker. We have one of those in our basement. Hahah

20. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I bought a rather ordinary Craftsman LED flashlight a few months ago, but I have to admit it's very nice with three brightness settings and seemingly infinite battery life. Water resistant throughout, the attention to detail is remarkable, even down to the crimson wrist strap that was carefully matched to the rubber switch protector and sealing ring. The focus and brightness of the light beam are admirable, but the blue tinge around the edges can be somewhat disconcerting. I give it a 4 out of 5.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

They're all vicious! No matter what size. :eek: I used to keep the tiniest one on my keychain, I had to take it off because I kept getting nasty bruises all over my hands/knuckles and the occassional ouchie on the chin. But I want a mini one to keep in my car... for seeing in the dark and well, for bopping strange people on the head should they attempt any funny business. :D

22. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

On the instructions (yes, this thing has instructions...) it says the LED can last 100,000 hours, but the ratio is 30 seconds of shaking for every three minutes (and I know you can get more than that, because I did about 20 seconds of shaking and got a good 5 minutes of strong light).

According to my calculations (and Mr. Q can correct me if I'm wrong ;)), using their advertised numbers, it's a 1:6 ratio for shake:light. If the LED can last 100,000 hours, then it would take 60,000,000 seconds of shaking to fulfill the lifetime of the LED, or 1 year (365 days), 10 months (Jan. through October), 25 days, 10 hours, and 40 minutes of shaking.

That's a lot.
    -Chasen

23. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

USPTO records show that it was originally Mag-Lite, and the unhyphenated form was added in the 1980s.

24. CompUser Guest

Well I'm glad we've got that worked out. I can now sleep tonight without pondering about that.

Thanks!

LOL

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Hm...I never thought to check the trademark. Good thinking. Well, I guess they use both.