Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Do people really believe Apple is just going to copy Windows 8? Already in the App Store there are lots of beautiful easy to use apps that eschew the skeuomorphism and gloss. There's plenty Apple can do to get rid of the ugly bits of iOS without it turning into Windows. Microsoft didn't invent "flat" design.

I'm looking at my home screen now and all the icons are "Flat" except Apples. lol.

Flipboard
flipboard-icon.png

Spotify
Spotify-iPhoneApp-icon.png

Paypal
AppIcon_PayPal.png

etc etc.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
yeah, no need to worry about that. apple never rushes it's products they take time and bring out a perfect product. so dont worry, apple will bring out what's best for it's users.
You might want to check your history there mate. ;)

I've never known them mess up their styling, but quality control and software glitches are something they've lacked in the past. Then again I only referred to one thing and didn't compliment the entire company reputation.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Just WAIT until WWDC instead of criticizing something that's NOT EVEN PUBLIC YET.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Either iOS 7 is going to be delayed or it will not be entirely 'flat' if that's the route they are heading. It may be several updates 7.x before it gets finalized which is something I doubt Apple would do.

If anything, I see a few apps getting an update for iOS 7 that will give it a flat or new look, but won't be an entire OS change if released anytime soon given the rumors of how late the iOS 7 project has started and with all the team/executive shifts made.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I don't think "flat" means "Windows 8".

Look at the more modern-looking apps like Gmail and OkCupid. They still use the navigation functionality we're familiar with, but the buttons just don't look super raised up and physical. They look sleek, nice, simple... "flat".

I think we'll see more stuff like that. It looks way better than fake leather notepads and such.

But basically, veryone needs to stop freaking out and just wait a few weeks.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I understand your concerns. However, we have no idea how apple will implement the flat UI. We also have no idea what they are deeming "flat". I might not be as "flat" as people are thinking.

Just wait until june and see...

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Windows Phone "Metro" is not flat. It's beyond flat. Trust me, none of these are issues in flat design, but at this point much flat design looks repetitive and I haven't seen a ton of flair.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here's a Pinterest app the Apple way and a more flat way. The first one looks incredibly dated to me. I hope Apple is doing more than just removing the glossiness.

AppleUI.png

flatUI.png

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I've been using the metro UI for a while now, and what you Win8 haters need to understand is that in a well designed Metro app, every single bit of text is supposed to be clickable - with 2 exceptions: The title, and a paragraph of text. Any short words or numbers, such as a phone number, if clicked, should make a call. Tapping on an email should open your email app. Tapping on a person's name should open their contact info, etc...

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I've been using the metro UI for a while now, and what you Win8 haters need to understand is that in a well designed Metro app, every single bit of text is supposed to be clickable - with 2 exceptions: The title, and a paragraph of text. Any short words or numbers, such as a phone number, if clicked, should make a call. Tapping on an email should open your email app. Tapping on a person's name should open their contact info, etc...

You need to understand that people who are critical of the interface aren't automatically Win8 haters. I personally use Windows 8, but I don't like how the interface works, because there's no visual clues for buttons apart from, maybe some brighter colors.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You need to understand that people who are critical of the interface aren't automatically Win8 haters. I personally use Windows 8, but I don't like how the interface works, because there's no visual clues for buttons apart from, maybe some brighter colors.

Haters may have been a bad word, I apologize. My point was simply that it's far too easy to create a bad Metro style app (even for Microsoft!), and it seems to give them all a bad name.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Here is an example of how iOS could be flatter, and yet still look recognisable as iOS. You don't have to get rid of every texture or shadow, just remove the sharp shininess it has retained since 2007.

I reckon they'll build upon what they started with iOS 6, making apps appear more like the new iTunes & App Stores, removing the skeuomorphism from apps such as Reminders, and getting rid (or toning down) of the texture they use everywhere (like the background of Notification Center).

[Click to enlarge]

I'd laugh so hard if iOS 7 came out with the same old UI... :p

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Here is an example of how iOS could be flatter, and yet still look recognisable as iOS. You don't have to get rid of every texture or shadow, just remove the sharp shininess it has retained since 2007.

I reckon they'll build upon what they started with iOS 6, making apps appear more like the new iTunes & App Stores, removing the skeuomorphism from apps such as Reminders, and getting rid (or toning down) of the texture they use everywhere (like the background of Notification Center).

[url=http://s24.postimg.org/gv80n6qdh/Flatter.png]Image[/URL]

[Click to enlarge]

I'd love iOS to look like that, just slightly lighter.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL

[Click to enlarge]

I think this might be the most accurate mockup, hopefully.

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010

That is horribly distasteful.. totally bland. :mad:
You want the remaining colors to be taken out too, like the green button -> gray for more flatness?

That looks like a third-rate Blackberry 10 OS instead of iOS :(

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
That is horribly distasteful.. totally bland. :mad:
You want the remaining colors to be taken out too, like the green button -> gray for more flatness?

That looks like a third-rate Blackberry 10 OS instead of iOS :(

I'm pretty sure I left all the colours in the mockup that were in the original.

The aim of the mockup was only to show that the skeuomorphic elements such as the background of Notification Center (the colours of which remain in the mockup) and volume knobs in the Music app could be removed to make it look modern without moving things around and re-inventing what already works.

I didn't say remove the colour... I don't wan't Apple to go iTunes 10 on us any more than you do. If it helps, I forgot to put the icons in the selected tabs at the bottom of the Photo's and Clock app's in blue, like in the current iTunes store.

Last edited:

falkedup

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I like the flat design that yahoo weather uses. If ios7 is going to have more yahoo integration I think it'll look awesome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.