Flat screen iMac - miniplug?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Kagemush, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Kagemush macrumors newbie

Alrighty...this may be a very basic question, but please forgive me. I just moved over to a Mac from the PC world.

-- Is the miniplug jack on the back of the new flat panel iMac a regular minijack plug...or is it a special Apple-only part?

I'm trying to hook my home stereo to the iMac (like my PC), but the jack adaptor which seems to fit into the hole...doesn't work. The plug clicks into the hole, but all I get is some popping noises. If I pull the plug out a bit I can get the home stereo speakers to work, but the speakers in the top of the iMac are active also.

I've tried to different jack adaptors. so it's not the adaptor itself.

It doesn't seem to make sense that it would be a propritery part, but I'm willing to buy a special part if necessary.

BTW, I love the new iMac!

Thanks,
    Kagemush
    Atlanta, GA

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hi

Have you got the right port? There should be two (amplified apple speaker port + a headphone socket), use the headphone socket. Take a look at the tech specs (audio section near the botton) form apple to check.

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/specs.html

Hope this helps, but from what I see it should all work.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Plug into the headphone jack. The pro speaker jack will not work with regular speakers, and you could damage your iMac. Once you come out of the headphone jack, use an RCA stereo splitter to get the connection to your home stereo. All told, the parts will cost about 10 bucks for the headphone cable, and the RCA splitter. It will work though.
    Chuck

4. Kagemush thread starter macrumors newbie

Just damn...

Plugging the dang plug into the headphone jack did the trick. I don't know why I didn't try that in the first place.

Thanks for the help!

Kagemush

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Read the manual!!!

The new iMac is new so I do not know (and may be no one) what are thouse little details yet. Apple had a different mic imput in the Power Mac series a few years ago. The manual should tell you how that port is working.