flat screen tv advice

Discussion in 'Games' started by bdugan, Jan 6, 2007.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

I will be graduating this spring and I have decided to treat myself to a hi def flat screen tv. I dont want to spend more that $1500 and I was wondering what people would recommend.

Thanks.

2. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

Samsungs are nice you could get a 32in for ~1,500

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually if you shop around the 40" can be had right around $1500 now. (I have the 40" Sammy LNS-4051S and love it.) Samsungs are particularly nice for gaming since they have a "gaming mode" co-designed with Microsoft.

B

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

I'd look at the Samsungs too. I've got one and am really happy with it. :)

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

There are a lot of amazing amazing TV's out there now and for a good price range.

It really depends on your personal preference... I have the 42" Westinghouse but I think I'm going to sell it. Got it for cheap and really its too big for my living space...

6. kjr39 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go to a A/V forum and ask about Macs and I wouldn't go to a Mac forum and ask about A/V stuff.

No offense to y'all, but the passion that we have towards Macs, those folks have to all things A/V.

I'd head to www.avsforum.com's Flat Panel forum and read where I you.

That is what I did and ended up picking up a Panasonic plasma.

7. stevebz macrumors newbie

you can find out about good TVs from many websites/forums but I recently logged all my personal experience of finding the best TV for me on my website.

stevebz

http://www.flat-screen-tv-guide.com

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

I have a Samsung 32 inch HD CRT with HDMI and am so glad I went that route. Not only does HD programming look nice, but so does regular viewing. My friend's flat panels (LCD's and Plasmas) just don't hold up so well in standard definition. The fact that I saved over a thousand over them is also a huge plus for me :)

Paul

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

AVSforum is a great site for information like this. regardless of what you hear from people you need to do your research, what is "perfect" to one person may be over-saturated or have too much contrast for your liking. When i bought i went out and looked at the TV before purchasing online.

That said any Pioneer Elite series are great flat panels :) You can sometimes find last years model for great prices. In your price range i would stick to Samsung, Hitachi (my preference in your price range), and Vizio

Link to my TV, Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1

Ed

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

We recently bought the Samsung SlimFit 30" Widescreen CRT for $799, now they're down to $699.

I highly recommend this tv.
    2 HDMI ports, 2 component inputs, widescreen, , 480p/720p/1080i support, excellent PQ - cheap (also has a built in HD tuner for OTA broadcasts)

Of course I wanted something huge and expensive :D but then again I didn't want to buy a new tv stand/entertainment center, so we bought this because it fits in what we have now. Eventually it'll go to the bedroom when we get either a LCD projection or LCoS, but until then...this tv is awesome. We just got Dish|HD this past Saturday and it's even better now that we have more HD channels to pick from (other than just the OTA's).

11. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I am buying a Vizio 37" LCD HDTV before I go back to school next semester. It is a very pretty TV, I took a look at it in Costco, and the AV world has nothing but good things to say about it, for the price, and in general.

12. pcypert macrumors 6502

Man, I thought stuff was more expensive here....my Samsung 32 CRT was less than 500 from a major retailer (could have price shopped but wanted warranty)

The blacks are very nice as is the color. Love hooking my Sony FX1 video cam up to it and seeing my footage.

Paul