Flat TV/Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airkarol, Dec 3, 2006.

1. airkarol macrumors 6502

Hey,

I'm interested in buying a flat screen tv, that also can support my MBP. I don't want to spend more than $1000, but want one at least 32". Picture in picture would be nice, and HD-Ready.

Thanks.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That's awesome, I'm thinking of getting something like that too. Let me know when you do, and we can compare notes or something.

3. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

4. MajereXYU macrumors regular

Get a brand name TV (Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Toshiba) for the service in case of warranty repairs and for general better overall quality.

A good candidate would be the DELL 32" LCD TV on their website.

I hard good things from it, it is HDTV (resolution 1366*768 : 720P).
    It has HDMI, a VGA port, a good remote and is nice looking too.

It goes on sale pretty often at under $1000.

This is the TV I'm looking yo buy.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It really depends on what resolution you what to be able to get on the screen. If you get a 1080i set the resolution will be 1366 x 768, which may be enough for you. I personally could not use a set that big with a resolution that small. If you don't mind you can find quite a few 1080i sets for cheap.

I just recently purchased the Westinghouse LVM-37w3 which is a 1080p set. Meaning the resolution will be 1920 x 1080 which is much better then the 1080i set. I picked up the westy for $980 from crutchfield. I don't now if that deal is still going on but search around and you should be able to find it for less then a grand. The westy also has uber ports... i mean it has a lot of inputs on the back which will come in handy for hooking up a lot of things.

I love my new westy. Just have to get it calibrated

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's an excellent deal. :) How happy are you with black levels so far?

I just bought a 32" off-brand one via Best Buy -- this Insignia. It was a cyber monday after-Thanksgiving deal, and so it was only $600. I'm super happy with it at that price (I wouldn't pay the $850 price it's selling for now, though! :eek: )

It's 720p (obviously at that price), and the black levels are far from perfect. But it is fairly high along the über-ports continuum: 2x composite, 2x component, 1x SVGA, 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, 1x Co-ax. Right now, I am using the two component feeds for my DVR and DVD, and the VGA is pegged for my iMac G5. Which leaves at least one fair (S-Vid) and one good (HDMI) port for future apps without using any switch boxes.

But again, the whole issue of what your needs are is very important. If you're going to use it as a monitor / computer screen heavily, 1080p is probably a really good investment. If you're watching movies and hi-def TV, 1080p is nice, but I'd personally say that good black level and colors and so on are more important than 1080p unless you have lots of actual material that is truly in 1080p or 1080i format....

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) In no way is 1366x768 HD. It may be of a high resolution, but HD programing will look horrible on 768. You are much better off getting an actual 1080i/p or 720p screen.

2) I'd suggest looking at TigerDirect.com.

3) For TV/Display, I'd look into Panasonic. They have some pretty advanced displays for the prices that they charge. Also, Westinghouse has had some incredible TV's for sale recently 1080i for $700.

TEG

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You speaking from experience?

I have one of each (one 1280x720 and one 1360x768). I don't detect any obvious scaling artifacts on the 768 unit with various sources of HD content (720p and/or trailers served from my iMac or DirecTV HD programming).

Then again the same trailers look very nice on my iMac too and it's 1440x900 which isn't a native HD resolution either....

B

9. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I am happy with it. I don't, for right now, have any way of fine tuning the display unless i hook up my laptop. I am planning on getting the snazio Net DVD Cinema HD but after the TV purchase I am going to have to hold of on that for a little while.

The westy has 1xHDMI(HDCP), 2xDVI(HDCP), VGA, 2xcomponent, 1xcomposite (although it registers the s-video and yellow video input separately so essentially it is 2 composite inputs). The HDMI, DVI, and VGA all accept 1080p input which is really nice.

It is a really great tv for the money and with some calibration it could probably be even better!!