Flatscreen imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mynameismatt89, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

Hey,

I was searching the forums and couldn't come up with anything. My friend just bought a 20" iMac and im planning on getting one in a year or too but keep my ibook too. I was just wondering tho, how there are no flatscreen imacs for sale on the apple website? Where can I get one? Does any one have a flatscreen imac?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, there most certainly are flatscreen iMacs for sale at apple.com

They come in 17", 20" and 24" sizes. Go to store.apple.com, you'll see them right in the middle of the page or on the left under "Mac Desktops."

3. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Those are G4s and, unfortunately, were discontinued a couple of years ago. That is the favorite imac form of many users, myself included. They may be found here used occasionally, or on ebay, etc..

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The screen on the current iMac is as flat as you can get. Using the term "flat-screen" to describe an iMac isn't particularly clear.

The iMac you linked to is an old G4 model. These were replaced in 2004 with the G5 iMac which used an older variant on the current style. In 2005 the iMac was revised twice, the final variant was thinner and had a built-in iSight camera among other features.

In January 2006 the iMac G5 was replaced with the iMac Core Duo (or simply "iMac") which kept the old form factor but added a much, muuuch faster Intel Core Duo processor and other architectural improvements.

Recently the iMac Core Duo became the iMac Core 2 Duo with an even faster Intel processor - it's still just called the iMac though.

So do you really want to buy a machine that's at least 2 years old and lightyears behind in terms of performance? I sure wouldn't.

6. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, i guess your right Chundles, thanks alot guys!

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I really like the G4s- ebay and craigslist are good places to look if you are trying to find one.

8. zane macrumors 6502

maybe he wasnt that clear but in most cases that imac IS called imac (flat panel)

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I just bought on for 369.00.....yea!!!!! Hate the new ones....

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Maybe this is what he's looking for.

Attached Files:

• imac.jpg
      imac.jpg
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
  11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess if you were really adventurous, you could buy a broken iMac G4 on the cheap and mod a Core Duo Mini to go in its case! :D

But I'd suggest just getting a C2D instead. You'll learn to love it. :) Although I personally always liked the "pizza box" form factor starting with the iMac G5 better than the iMac G4.

12. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

woah, that concept is sweet! Who designed that?

13. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

That's very interesting.

14. chaslam macrumors regular

Id love to see a new design for the imac. Its ok the current G5/intel one, but its a bit plain and boring I think. Macs are supposed to be unique, and look completely different from windows PCs. The current model just looks like a really big screen which I find boring.

Mind you, quite funny seeing sonys version of the windows imac. Has anyone seen them? They look terrible!

I would like to see some sort of design based around the apple cinema display, as its so sleek and sexy. Although, it would be quite nice to carry on the black tradition and have a black 24" imac. Also, maybe a imac pro, with the aluminium build used in the MBP and macpro? That would be interesting.

Have to say though, imacs are probably my least favorate looking mac, along with the macpro which is pretty plain (however does set itself apart from PC counterparts). Would really like to see something innovative from apple design wise in 2007 happen with the imac.