Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmargolis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I'm getting these flickering purple stripes with the iPhone 5 camera sometimes. Mostly when there is a lot of sunlight around. The bars flicker intermittently while the camera is on. Most of the time they do not show in the actual photo, but sometimes they do. I have attached an example. Anyone else getting this?

Attachments

• purple stripes.jpg
    purple stripes.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3,326

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
It's one of Apples new filters, it's called crap. You have a turd for a phone, take it back to apple and get a new one.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
That's definitely not the purple flare that's being discussed in the really large camera thread. Your iPhone seems to be faulty. I'd take it back for an exchange & show those pictures.

japserb

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
I'm getting these flickering purple stripes with the iPhone 5 camera sometimes. Mostly when there is a lot of sunlight around. The bars flicker intermittently while the camera is on. Most of the time they do not show in the actual photo, but sometimes they do. I have attached an example. Anyone else getting this?

I got the same problem!! This has nothing to do whit the "purple issue" with sunlight.. this is something else.. :mad:
My sister has a Ipod touch 4generation.. and she had the same problem.. but only 1 time..

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
That's a defective camera sensor I'm sorry to say.

You will need a replacement handset.

LambertFransz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
I'm having the same problem. I've called Apple and have visited vodafone and they both told me to do a full restore before getting an exchange. Since then I didn't notice the problem yet. Have you maybe already done anything to it yourself? Would be cool to let us know! Thanks

jmargolis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I haven't done anything about it yet. It doesn't happen that often so I just haven't gotten around to it. If it happens again, I'll probably bring it in, especially if I can easily reproduce the problem (which I can't do right now).

japserb

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
If you want to see some pictures...

Attachments

• 2012-10-15 17.49.53.jpg
    2012-10-15 17.49.53.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3,302
  • 2012-10-16 10.14.05.png
    2012-10-16 10.14.05.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,104

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
i called apple care, because i had the same problem. they will take back my old iphone and give me a new one...

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
This iphone 5 has issues everywhere. It is by far the most problematic iphone of all time. I am starting to love more my iphone 4S.

Where is the quality control at Apple?

Nice dancing girls on the video unfortunately that bug made that video to look bad.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
OMFG people get your faulty handsets back and exchange. Seriously the iphone is probably the most issue-free handset out there and if you have issues it's much easier to get a new one compared to other Android phones. Some people just need to learn to appreciate things.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Damnit, I got a brand new iPhone 5 yesterday and today while I was taking pics with it, I got the same issue as the OP's 1st pic above... It only happened once, but it's enough to make me anxious about it.

I really hope I won't have to exchange my phone, esp. after I spent 2 hours last night putting SGP's Incredible Shield on it (front, back, sides) and it looks pretty good now. It would be really frustrating if I had to do it again (and of course buying new ones). :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.