Flight Simulator 2004 on (XP) Mac Pro X1900

Discussion in 'Games' started by daveIT, Nov 6, 2006.

1. daveIT macrumors member

I was curious how this game would run on a mac pro 2.66, 2GB, X1900 in Boot Camp or Parallels. I saw FS 2004 it on sale for $16 at the store. I played it quite a bit this summer at my father-in-laws this summer on his PC. They also had FS 2002 there for $28.95...lol!!

2. babsuvulawho macrumors member

FS 2004 will not run in a virtual machine like Parallels you will need to run it while Windows is running natively on the Mac hardware.

In terms of performance I've never had Flight Simulator run so smoothly, it's an amazing experience. You couldn't possibly be disappointed with the performance in FS 2004.

3. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

I run it on a 2GHz with a 7300GT and I'd give it probably a B in terms of performance. It's great but could be even better in those high FPS situations. With a 2.66GHz and an X1900XT, it'll be absolutely stunning, and will probably run FSX quite well too.

4. scott523 macrumors 6502a

You will need to use Boot Camp and FS 2004 will run smooth on your Mac Pro. Bare minimum for RAM FS 2004 is 1GB so you have no room for error. FSX is insane, 2GB RAM is needed to have a fun experience with that sim.

5. rontheancient macrumors regular

Im stuck between the 24" iMac and the Mac Pro (2.66, 2GB, Dual 250GB, X1900). Im planning on buying the desktop when Leopard comes out, and install Vista (or XP) through Boot Camp to run FSX. Since FSX, the Mac Pro, and the 24" iMac are out, does anyone with FSX and either desktop want to give their opinions?

6. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

7. rontheancient macrumors regular

I will get FSX, but I doubt it will work well on my existing gaming PC, a 3.2 P4, 1GB, 200GB HD, X850XT. I will need to replace this rig in the near future anyway, that is why I want to know how FSX performs on the iMac and the Mac Pro.

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

It's not that bad is it? Is it? ... Please, someone say it isn't! :confused: :p It'd be great to get some definitive benchmarks for FS X on the Mac Pro.

I'm looking to get back into FS which was a big part of my PC life but I'm two minds about my next purchases.

1) Mac Pro for both operating systems. I'm worried about bootcamp drivers and possible conflicts, FS X being a resource hog bitch, not optimized for two dual core processors (?) etc.

or

2) A high spec Windows machine for FS and then eventually get a new Mac. (sounds expensive)

I've considered building my own PC but realistically I don't think I'd have the time. Who are the best PC guys to go with these days? I don't think I could buy another Dell.

9. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

you could prob get it to run pretty good

10. rontheancient macrumors regular

Are you talking about my existing PC or the iMac/Mac Pro?

As for FSX supporting dual core machines, the FS team have been known to release updates before, so they might release a update to FSX in the future to support multiple cores.

11. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

12. rontheancient macrumors regular

My existing gaming PC can barely scrape 10fps, and there is not much I can upgrade to it either.

13. rontheancient macrumors regular

Just FYI:

The 24-Inch iMac C2D with a 7600 is only 6 FPS slower in Doom 3 than the Mac Pro with a X1900. However, you lose lots of expandability and upgradability, as well as the possibility of installing Vista (as far as I know, Vista will not install on a partition, it requires a dedicated drive)