Flight Simulator Games on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Grimace, Jul 3, 2004.

1. macrumors 68040

Grimace

I am dying to get a good Flight Sim for my mac. The only good game I can find is Falcon 4.0 - from 1999! Is there *anything* else out there?

2. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I guess I meant Flight combat simulator - I don't want to fly for an airliner! Falcon 4.0 can be found for under $10 - but I am hesitant to try such an old game. Computer gaming has come a long way in 5 years.

3. Moderator emeritus

Supposedly, X-plane has more than just airliners but for combat, I don't know.

4. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Your best bet is the new FA-18 game coming out soon. "Operation Iraqi Freedom" :rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I have moral issue with buying that game, but I may have to give in. I gotta fly! :mad:

6. macrumors 6502

X-Plane may not be a combat flight sim but its easily the most realistic available for a personal computer. It also has some of the most interesting aircraft ever built including the X-15, Shuttle Orbiter and the B2. Its only real drawback is it doesn't seem to be very entertainment oriented. It just seems like they are trying to achieve as much realism as possible.

7. macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

There are only a few flight sims for OS X. IMO, the best civilian flight sim ever on the Mac was the Fly! series. Unfortunately, the greedy businessmen running the show rushed the last version, Fly!II, and it didn't live up to it's potential. This was a sim with a bright future; this was a sim that would give Microshizzle's sim a serious run for its money. Now it's probably dead forever :mad: :( Also, there's supposed to be a patch that lets you run Falcon 4.0 in OS X without classic, but I haven't tried to get it to work. I'll try it sometime soon. And as someone else mentioned, Graphsim is releasing the next F/A-18 sim soon (Or so they've said for the past year or so.). As someone who's flown every F/A-18 version since Hornet 2.0, I'm eagerly awaiting this new release.

So we have these for OS X:

Fly!II (civilian sim)
    X-Plane (mostly civilian, but has military aircraft)
    F/A-18 OIF (not released yet)
    Falcon 4.0 (maybe--needs patch)

There is an open source civilian sim, but I haven't tried it. I think one of the download links was dead when I tried to get all the required parts.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

wow....the mac offerings are....extensive. :rolleyes: i know, i know - macs aren't good for gaming - but still!! One decent fighter jet game isn't too much to ask! I'd even take a crappy one!

9. Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think it depends somewhat on which you want to do; realistic flying or the game aspect.

In the realistic flying category, I would recommend A-10 Attack. It was made by the same folks who made Hellcats of the Pacific and is for System 9. Runs fine under Classic (under 10.2 for sure, haven't tried 10.3). The flight model is very good (accurate). You can do realistic maneuvers such as normal stalls, accelerated stalls, slow flight, slipping & sliding, etc. As for the A-10 Attack in the game mode, I have no idea. I always just fly it for the flying practice.

Sushi

Edit: spelling

10. macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

If you want a mix of realism and fun, go for X-Plane v.7. It's the latest update, it's extremely realistic and has lots of planes that fly just like the real deal. You can do lots of cool and challenging things like land and take off from aircraft carriers, refuel in-flight from a KC-10, fly the space shuttle in outer space, recreate historic flights in planes like the X-15, and even fly on MARS.

Check out www.x-plane.com and the biggest X-Plane community at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/x-plane-tech/

Feel free to contact that group for more information.

Hope that helps

11. macrumors 6502

Just looking at the X-Plane site and found this:

X-Plane's Secret

He lists the secret of his success but won't tell us what it is. Damn - can anyone work it out? ;)

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I just don't know.... :p

I am downloading the X-Plane demo right now, but I think my computer is confused. It says "Downloading 236MB of 208MB" The website says it's ~207 - the download bar has been at 100% for the past 2 minutes - but the amount downloaded keeps going - now 240MB. Help?? :confused:

13. macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Maybe it has to do with those strange metal devices they're holding. :confused: ;) ;) ;)

14. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Check out Warbirds 3.

I know it's not jets and modern technology, but it's still damn fun with a great graphics engine.

The "single player" (and pretty much the whole game) is available as a free download. You have to pay to play online though.

I think they might have included tanks and paratroopers in the most recent release.

15. macrumors 6502

party

...people actually play FLIGHT SIMULATORS??? haha no offense...not my type of games..good luck tho

16. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some of us use them for cheap practice time.

Sushi

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Why? What games do you prefer?

18. thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Unfortunately, Warbirds III is MIA from the web right now. The site that everyone points to is :

http://files.warbirdsiii.com/WarBirds/WBIII/mac/wbmfull070203.sit

which is blank. :(

19. macrumors 6502

party

i prefer more FPS games...

20. macrumors member

Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
    Try Targetware's site for their range of prop & jet military sims:
    http://www.targetware.net/

I think you may be pleasantly surprised with what you find.

21. macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Simulator != game. There's a big difference between the two. :rolleyes:

22. Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that it also depends on how you approach the application.

If you are a pilot, and you are flying as if it is a real AC you are operating the software in a different manner than if you are in a shoot them up game.

Sushi

23. macrumors newbie

acdninjapan

<<Mei no mai dayo!>> It's right there in front of your eyes! Or are you so used to seeing the logo and not getting the message. The answer is in the OS.

24. macrumors member

Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
  25. macrumors regular

Is it even possible to get these games anywhere (hellcasts, etc)?