Flight Tracker Widget: Says my bro's plane is 2 hours late he's landed!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlBDamned, Jul 16, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

This widget must suffer from the same problem as the weather one. i.e it's wildly inaccurate.

Says my brothers plane from Tokyo is 2hrs and 29 mins late, when actually, he's landed and is in the car on his way home...

Oops. :rolleyes:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

GIGO -- Garbage in, Garbage out

(talking about the quality of data NOT about airline food. But then...)

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Just garbage out I think. Correct flight info is/was available online from BAA (Brit Air Authority).

Wonder where they get the widget info feed from cos it ain't right.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bizarre - I have had cases where the Flight widget was correct and the BAA departure boards at the airport were wrong.

Incidentally, does it say Landed but that the flight was also 2 hours late? Or was the flight bang on time?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, it's still GIGO -- unless the widget actually falsifies correct data that it received. Your second sentence hits the nail on the head -- it is getting bad information from the data feed the widget is programmed to use.

GIGO doesn't mean that there isn't the right information available (somewhere), just that the information chosen as input is unreliable.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Actually you're absolutely right with GIGO, C.Ram. Must have a duff link somewhere.

A.Spider: It still says, even after re-fresh, that the flight is currently 2.26 hours late and not landed. I made my mum have kittens when I called her to say he was running late. She'd sent my father to pick him up slightly early just to be safe!

All's well though. Quite funny really.

Edit: Now I get what you mean. No, the flight was only about 15 minutes late.

GIGO. I'm going to go with that. :cool:

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Same issue here, sometimes the flight tracker widget is perfect, and sometimes it never shows the plane as taking off. I can't figure it out.

8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have always had plenty of luck with the flight tracker widget. i've used it countless times to track where my dads flight is, and figure out exactly when i need to leave to pick him up. :)

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The data comes from here. They do warn that flight data will probably be wrong outside Canada and the US :(

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i have seen multi-sources for flight info not match through the years. doesn't suprise me you got the wrong information.

11. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I have only tracked 1 flight so far and it was inland as well as inaccurate.