Flip screen?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by disconap, Dec 17, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

disconap

I'm working on a modding project, and due to the constraints of the lcd wiring in my old ibook, I need to mount the screen upside down. Is there a way in OSX to flip the screen so that it projects upside down?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum, can a mod move this to OS X please?

2. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Go to System Pref | Screen | Rotate - select 180 degrees

Someone was thinking of you!

3. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What the... :confused:

4. macrumors 6502

That doesn't work on integrated displays.

5. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Mirrored. Can you be more specific? I don't have that option in 10.2, 10.3, or 10.4, with lcd or crt (or integrated, as mentioned)...

7. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

??? It's under system preferences At least on my mac-mini with a Dell LCD. I just checked again - it's there - I tried it - and got seasick looking at it till I could get it back normal again! Geesh - mouse move just the opposite, etc. :eek:

8. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Are you wanting a picture of the preference to rotate the screen?

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, in Tiger (which I'm working in right now on my G5), I don't even have a screens option in prefs. Appearance, Desktop/ScreenSaver, and Displays, yes, but none of them have a rotate option...

10. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I have never seen such an option on any of my 80 or so Macs. Perhaps you have a pivoting display (the kind that swivels around with the release of a latch)?

11. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Next line down, under hardware - third icon from the left - I could not get a screen grab with the rotate option, but there is an option for standard, 90, 180 and 270.

View attachment 64326

View attachment 64327

12. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Oops - I made a misteak

Apology - I just went back and looked at my post - I said Screen - I should have said Display - humble apologies for any confusion I may have caused - as Jimmy Buffet would say - mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa :( :( :(

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Hey no worries. I somehow completely missed the fact that it existed IN displays, so all good. Looks like it's only in Tiger, though, which makes things more difficult...

So, anyone know of a way to do this in Jaguar or Panther?

14. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It doesn't make a diff I still don't see it... not for my ViewSonic, my ADC, or my crappy Envision LCD. Perhaps it's a feature of only certain GPUs?

15. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It's relegated to certain GPUs.

An older kbnum from the 10.1 days (when the setting was in the Geometry tab) tells that it's relegated to the monitor. I'm inclined to believe Tiger's kbnum as it seems to make more sense.

16. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Hmm. That makes sense, but still leaves me needing some kind of solution...

No hardware hacks or anything? I suppose I can resolder longer wires and get the same result, but there are SO many damn wires in monitor lines, it will take friggin hours...

17. macrumors 68020

atszyman

Try holding option while clicking on System Preferences and Displays. I seem to remember being able to do this on my PowerBook in the pre-Tiger days.

It might also be command or control, but option seems to ring the most bells for me.

Of course that only brings up the aforementioned rotate options.

18. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

I will DEFINITELY try this. I broke the backlight, though, so I won't be able to test it until I replace that. Thanks for the tip, though, it works on my imac so it may work on the ibook. You rock, thanks! (and it is option, btw)

19. macrumors 68000

tominated

it didn't work on my imac
    BTW: are you trying to make a mac tablet

20. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

That's part of the project, yes. I've successfully completed all of it using a cheap Aiptek tablet, I just need to build the screen case and flip the monitor. EDIT: and replace the backlight, which I accidentally broke.

And yeah, when I looked more in depth, I couldn't flip it in preferences on my imac, I clould only skew it about 10 degrees or so...

21. macrumors newbie

i found out if you hit CONTROL key and then click display in sys pref you will get more options.... like Rotation.. Thanks man

22. macrumors 68030

Since no one mentioned this, on the PPC Mac laptops you can install ATI Displays which gives you lots of extra features with your card, such as rotating the display. You can also override game settings (the most advantageous of which is enabling FSAA in games that never supported it).