Flip4Mac acquires PopWire

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnthonyKinyon, Aug 1, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Link is here

Flip4Mac acquires PopWire

Kind of big news considering these are the only two solutions to run Windows Media on Macs (under Mac OS X natively, anyway). So now they are one in the same going forward. They are to merge the best of both solutions in the future. Sorry if this was already reported on MacRumors but I didn't see it anywhere.

For those that don't know, see PopWire's solution here: link and Flip4Mac here at this one: link

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is a bit of a surprise.

Not sure what Flip4Mac will get out of it--I ran Popwire until F4M went universal, and it played far less files than Flip4Mac and didn't handle embedded video, either. Maybe they have some good encoding tools or something?

Popwire, I can understand--they have an inferior solution and F4M's is free (yet not, from a development perspective) thanks to the Microsoft deal.

Maybe Popwire decided to throw in the towel and figured selling to Flip4Mac was the best option.

[Edit: Ok, should've actually read the article; looks like it was more the Popwire multi-format compression system that Telestream wanted, and the WMV-9 codec was just along for the ride.]

3. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Well you are probably right but also bear in mind - less competition to an extent, though Flip4Mac was widely used a lot more than PopWire I think. :)

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

What exactly does Flipnote do is it worth downloading?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't find any reference to a "Flipnote" on either Telestream's or Popwire's sites :confused: and you can't possibly be asking what Flip4Mac does, because it's described in the first paragraph of the article. Care to enlighten me?