Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
the Western zoo said:
hey...

just wondering if any of you know an alternative for Flip4Mac to play windows media files on an intel mac?

I have a 512MBRAM iMac, and If you find it on versiontracker( I did), windows media player is not universal, but runs very very well under rosetta.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just can't wait for the UA of Flip. I "signed up" for the beta, they asked me a couple more questions, I answered them, and they didn't reply. That was about a week ago. Not looking too good :(

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Nermal said:
I just can't wait for the UA of Flip. I "signed up" for the beta, they asked me a couple more questions, I answered them, and they didn't reply. That was about a week ago. Not looking too good :(
Popwire is UB already. Why wait?

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Nermal said:
It doesn't integrate with Safari, and it doesn't allow me to open WMVs in other apps. VLC has its place, but this is not it.
Couldn't agree anymore. I'm really hoping we'll see a UB version of Flip4Mac sometime soon, but I've been hoping that for a while.

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Missouri
I'm not too fond of Flip, but unfortunately it is the only one that works. Little Snitch catches it trying to connect to the developers site every time a video is played, I don't like that.

dailyrorschach

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
I got my MacBook this past week, and you can make Flip4Mac work with an Intel Mac.

It is described here on this blog: http://www.macgeekery.com/gspot/2006-04/wmv_on_intel_macs

Flip4Mac will check to see if you have Intel and then say it can no longer run, you can get around this by installing it manually. Then, you need to tell QuickTime to run in Rosetta, apparently it doesn't cause any speed issues according to the author.

I haven't done this yet, but it sounds like this would do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.