Flip4Mac for wmv, but what's the other one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac000, Dec 29, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

whats the newer program that does what Flip4Mac does but has more supported media files?

I've tried going to the website before via digg.com i remember and i also read it in the january issue of macworld but i can't find the stinking article again. Does anyone recall? It might have started with an "A" :confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think so - thanks.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think you mean Perian, however VLC now supports WMV, which was really the only reason I was using Flip4Mac in the first place - now I have absolutely no need for it and can truly use VLC for 100% of the videos I watch. :cool:

Edit: You guys are too quick... :p ;) :D

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL I was using VLC for the same reason. ;)

6. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Yeah well, does VLC handle embedded WMV files in webpages also?

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No, VLC is a standalone player with no hooks into web-based content AFAIK. The only videos I watch on websites are either YouTube videos, Google videos or Apple movie trailers so in my case I have never run across the need for a player to play embedded WMV files. :cool:

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I don't like using VLC for video files though because it gets all glitchy in the video when you try to skip around. Quicktime may take a bit longer to open wmv files, but then once you skip around there are no glitches :)

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

What version of VLC are you using? The newest version works great for me wrt skipping around and such. And the new full screen mode is awesome. :cool:

10. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I put Perian on along with Flip4mac and it caused conflicts. Looks like an either or application. I went back to Flip4mac.

What is VLC?

11. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

VLC is a multi-format media player, similar in type to Apple's Quicktime Player Application.

It's completely useless for watching video in your web browser, but for watching movies or whatever downloaded to your computer it's great.