Flip4Mac Frustration!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skibob1027, Jul 17, 2006.

1. skibob1027 macrumors member

Does anyone know when Microsoft plans on releasing an Intel-based version of Flip4Mac???

When I try and install it, it just gives me a warning saying that they will have a new, Intel-based version out soon - but they never do!

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

There is a beta floating around the net, shouldn't be that hard to find it ;)

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I am also awaiting the release of the Universal binaries of Flip4Mac. It was being worked on since April, and they sure are taking their time. Annoying, but what can you do.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

See this thread for a link to the Flip4Mac beta to download.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I do not think Microsoft is involved - the company is Telestream and has been giving an update of couple of weeks - time is about up - we are all ready to purchase but you are correct - SLOW GOING on their part.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The flip4mac PPC based one doesn't work for everything. I posted in their forums with direct links to what didn't work. the guy reposnded syaing "the beta works" I was like wow... I hvae the most "recent" version and it doesn' t work. Secondly I cannot find this "beta" and thirdly isn't it for macinteltosh's? he never emailed me back.

7. kineticpast macrumors member

The beta is for their updated Universal version, so it isn't only for Intels and contains other fixes other than those required for Intel compatibility.

'The guy' meant that those problems are already fixed for the next version of Flip4Mac, so now all you have to do is wait (or install the beta found in this thread if you aren't too concerned about stability).

8. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I have the FLIP4MAC BETA on my Intel MacBook but I can't seem to play AVI files. What is the problem? How can I play AVIs? Thanks.

9. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Flip4Mac is for WMVs...which codec is the AVI? If it's Divx, install the Divx codec (search VersionTracker) or an XVID codec. Alternatively, you can play the file in VLC.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Download the latest release version of DivX here. However, this is a PPC codec and will require Rosetta on your MacBook. The UB version is still in beta. It is available here.

11. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

What type of AVI's? That doesn't tell us anything about what codec you need to view it. I suggest trying VLC.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

!!!

What's with QuickTime components and difficulty with getting an universal binary out?

13. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the resources, everyone! This has been one of my biggest frustrations since switching!

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ok someone go here and tell me if the BETA works, because I was told by the Flip4Mac forum dude that it WORKS under the BETA. Yet it DOESNT. I downloaded it, and installed. Yet no work... figures...

http://www.klif.com/listen.html

15. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

For streaming audio feeds I use VLC player. I haven't been able to get Quicktime w/the Flip4Mac plugin or WMP for OS X to work at all with streaming audio feeds.

Basically, open the URL in VLC, and then several files will probably pop up. Just click through until you find the air feed for the radio station.

16. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

I have the current beta installed on my machine and that site does work with it no problem.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

How :confused:

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I click Click here to listen to KLIF online.

Then the pop-op window shows.

[​IMG]

Then quicktime opens during that little comercial that is playing in the window. quicktime has a pop up saying URL is invalid.

Then nothing happens.

19. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I get a cannot install because of popwire or something please remove and try installing again. Has anyone else gotten this?

20. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Hard to say what the problem actually is, but it sounds like maybe Flip4Mac's plugin isn't being recognized. One thing you might try is to run F4M's uninstaller, then reinstall the beta and try again. Verify that Flip4Mac's preferences are set to use the Flip4Mac plugin. You should see F4M's logo as shown in the attached pic if you select the "About" window from Quicktime's embedded controls on the page and the plugin is present and accounted for. Is should also be reported in the "Installed Plugins" selection located in the help menu of Safari, if you are using it.

Attached Files:

• klif.jpg
      klif.jpg
      File size:
      128.5 KB
      Views:
  21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, that seems not to be the problem. When I visited the site from home last night, the little embedded QuickTime/Flip4Mac player came up--after some finagling. However, after a while it seems to try to replace the Quicktime/Flip4Mac player with Windows Media Player. I have never seen anything quite like it. Although it is supposed to be WMV9, it behaves somewhat like DRMed WMV9. I also notice that the site wants pop-up blocking disabled. These Windows-centric sites are getting just a bit too "creative" for my tastes.

P.S. On my work computer this morning, it seems not to work at all. My work computer is configured much the same as my home computer. Perhaps, WLIF is updating its streaming media. Well, we can hope.

22. rxl125 macrumors regular

Can you guys get 610wip.com to work? It's a radio station... I can't.

23. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Can you explain this a little further? Are you saying that the embedded player for Microsoft's WMP 9 for the Mac is launching after the embedded F4M player has launched?

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I did exactly as you said. Uninstall, reinstall, i opened up safari and it crashed lol. So I reopened safari typed klif.com opened the stream and holy crap it worked! thanks man