flip4mac issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bill4588, Jan 22, 2007.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I've been able to play WMV files in the past, but after my archive and install, WMV files won't play for some reason. Also, my AVI files won't play either. It's almost like I don't even have flip4mac installed on my computer. I've reinstalled flip4mac and quicktime and that didn't work. I have VLC and it does play the files, but the image is distorted and there's no sound. Is there a way to fix this? :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How did you go about reinstalling QuickTime? Did you uninstall Flip4Mac before reinstalling it? Why did you need the Archive & Install in the first place? :)

3. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

For quicktime I just went to the apple site and downloaded it again, and I did the same thing with flip4mac. and I needed to do the archive and install because I tried using pacifist to restore some missing fonts but I completely screwed my system by deleting things such as system preferences and DVD Player etc (don't know exactly how that happened but oh well). Do you recommend completely deleting both quicktime and flip4mac and installing them again?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you removed required fonts, then you were doing things that are way above your skill level. However, you may be able to recover by deleting the Flip4Mac and QuickTime receipts. Then reinstall. You will find them in /Library/Receipts/ at the root level of your hard drive and in your Home directory.

5. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I tried deleting the receipts and reinstalling the programs with no luck. anything else i can do? is there another program that will let me play windows media files?

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You could try using VLC. Its capable of playing just about every format you can find, including .avi and .wmv

7. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I have LVC and it does play the files, but the image is all distorted and there's no audio.

8. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Screwed your system? Yikes I don't know what to tell you but I know that if I were in as far as you are I would just save any important files and re-install OS X. Then again, I'm a neat freak when it electronics. Sometimes if you mess up too much it's just best to start from scratch.

10. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I think people are getting confused when I say that I "screwed my system." At one point I deleted fonts because I didn't really need them (like weird languages and stuff), but one day I thought it would be nice just to have them so I used pacifist to do it. But then that really messed everything up, so I did an archive and install. So now everything works perfectly and I still have all my data. My system isn't screwed now, the only thing that's wrong is that I can't play WMV and AVI files even though I have flip4mac installed, and now I'm looking for a solution to that.