Flip4Mac Safari Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macaddicttt, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Okay, I'm stumped on this one. I've tried everything and I can't figure it out. It makes no sense to me. I'm having trouble playing .wmv files, but only from one particular site, and only when using Safari. If I try and watch any video on metacafe.com, Safari cannot connect to the video. Here's everything I've done and what I've learned about this odd problem:

-It's not a problem with the site. I can watch the videos using Camino.

-It's not a problem with Flip4Mac. I can watch .wmv files on other sites using Safari.

-Now this is the really weird part. If I view the source of the webpage, find the link in the code to the video, copy it, and paste it into the address bar, the video loads just fine.

-Even weirder, I set Flip4Mac to open Quicktime to play .wmv files instead of within the browser to see what URL Safari is trying to connect to. The URL is the exact same one as the one I copy and paste into the address bar, but it won't play.

-I've restarted, trashed preferences, turned Flip4Mac off and on, everything, but nothing works.

I'm really confused here, guys. I don't quite understand what's going on. I haven't changed a thing on my computer. It worked fine when I went to bed last night, but it didn't work in the morning and hasn't been working all day. The only thing that happened between when it was working and when it wasn't was my computer went to sleep. I'm getting a little frustrated, not because metacafe has wonderful content I want to see, but because I just can't figure it out. It doesn't make any sense.

2. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Since no one seems to be able to figure this one out either, could someone try watching a video on Metacafe with Safari and Flip4Mac and let me know if it works?

3. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Come on, guys. No one can take two seconds out of their day to check one website and write a quick post telling me whether it worked or not? It's not that much to ask.

And I know that over 75 people have seen this thread. It's amazing that not one could do the simple courtesy.

4. x86 macrumors regular

x86

I would try it out, but I can't at the moment. But I do have the same problem as you. Some websites with WMV do not play in Safari unless I click a direct download link. Also, the slider bar, the play/pause button always turn white which is very annoying. All videos play fine in FireFox, so I think its somekind of issue with Safari.

Sorry, I have no idea how to fix the problem, but I know how you feel...

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Are you on PPC or Intel? (probably relevant due to beta concerns, etc)

Edit: I watched two videos on Metacafe last night and both of them played, however one did play very oddly. I'm on a MBP with the beta of Flip4Mac using Camino.

6. x86 macrumors regular

x86

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I can't get it to work on Safari PPC...the plugin loads, but when I click Play, it just says its loading and doesn't do anything.

But I can't get it to work right in Camino either...I get audio, but no video.

8. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Thanks for the replies. I'm on PPC, so maybe there's a problem with that? I'm leaning towards there being something wrong with the site, though, if so many people are having trouble with it.

I just noticed one other thing. When I copied and pasted the URLinto the address bar, Safari automatically transposed some things. Perhaps Safari is having a hard time doing that embedded in a page? Anyone else more knowledgeable about webdesign know anything about this?

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Ditto. I watched a few videos with Safari and the Flip4Mac Universal beta. Everything seems fine on the Intel end. :confused:

10. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

And just as suddenly as it stopped working, it's working again. :confused:

I still don't understand what happened, but as long as it works, right?