Floating text box in Flash

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacDonaldsd, Dec 3, 2006.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Im doing a website in flash and I want to have a floating text box appear when the user hovers there mouse over a link.

I just can't work out the actionscript to do it

Can anyone help ?

2. londonweb macrumors 6502

londonweb

By 'floating' do you mean that it appears at a point relative to the mouse pointer? If so, there are a few ways that you could do it- probably the easiest is this:

Create a text box, convert it to a movieclip and position it off-stage. Give it an instance name and then add this actionscript to the movie:

Code:
    onClipEvent(load) {
      // set clip invisible
      this._visible=false;
    }

Next choose the clip or button that you want to add the mouse over event to. If it's a movieclip, you'd write this, to set the clip visible or invisible:

Code:
    onClipEvent(load) {
      // set up function for mouse over
      this.onRollOver = function() {
        // use '_root' only if your text box clip is on the main timeline, or root
        _root.myTextBox._visible = true;
      }
      this.onRollOut = function() {
        _root.myTextBox._visible = false;
      }
    }  

Then go back to your text box clip, and add this code after the onClipEvent(load) part.

Code:
    onClipEvent(mouseMove) {
      // keeps clip positioned 10px away from mouse pointer
      this._x = _root._xmouse + 10;
      this._y = _root._ymouse + 10;
    }

So this code would set the clip invisble or visible on rollover/out, and you'd change the values added to the mouse x/y point to position it relatively.
    Another way to do this would be to use attachMovie, I can show you how to do this if you need to.