Flock.....anybody using it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zagato27, Oct 23, 2005.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just came across a story about a new browser, Flock. Mac OS X version. Right now it's a beta with bugs of course. Just wondering if anyone has tried it. Supposed to have some neat features. If anyone has taken the plunge I'd be interested in hearing your impressions. Here's the link to the story I read on Cnet: http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6361770.html?tag=cnetfd.blog
    Cheers

2. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I will check it out, I really don't think I could switch from Safari, but we will see.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

So far it's Yet Another Gecko Browser with an RSS reader much like Safari's, a little blog editor, a little clipping storage area, and integrated del.icio.us bookmark support. Meh as far as I'm concerned, maybe it would be more interesting to others.

Anyway, there are prebuilt binaries available for download and you can always give it a try yourself. It's just a drag-to-install Web browser, there's no system stuff to get messed up by playing with it.

4. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Yup I used for a little bit, mainly because I use a blog and read quite a few RSS-feeds, and also am a big supporter of web 2.0. At the same time, I'm not too big a fan of their bookmarking-system. Keeping all your bookmarks online is cool and all, but the conversion between my stored bookmarks and del.ico.us is not seemless. I would prefer a hybrid system.

But appart from that, it's pretty much Firefox 1.0 and I hear, but haven't tried, that it supports FF extensions as well. So, no harm in trying it. ;)

5. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Is there any way to import my Firefox bookmarks into flock? There doesn't seem to be an "import" menu item at all? These bookmarks are basically the difference between switch and don't switch.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It doesn't support Firefox extensions, but some have been 'ported'. Eg: AdBlock and CustomizeGoogle.

Tried it, but I'm not sure what to think of it. Didn't seem to have any features useful to me. I don't blog all that much, and I like Firefox's RSS better.

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

There's an Import Wizard (File->Import...), but I only got the choice of Safarai and Internet Explorer. Maybe you could import your Firefox bookmarks through Safari?

8. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I love Flock because of its nicer-than-Firefox interface and the fact that Flock apparently has some bugs worked out that are still in 1.0.7. I presume Flock is using the same version of Gecko that FF1.5b2 is using, but I don't know for sure.

The features are nice but they don't stand out too much. I think with some use I might, as well as others, like Flock even more. For now, it's Safari though.
    -Chase

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I downloaded it and played around with it the other day. I like the way the interface looks, but I don't really have any use for any of the "social" features. I don't see any reason to share my bookmarks, I don't really write blog entries, and Safari handles RSS just fine for the few sites I use it on.

10. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

From the Flock-forums I gathered that importing bookmarks isn't easy. Which pretty much rules out the use of Flock for me at the moment.

The Import-feature doesn't work btw.

11. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Ah, must have been in the update...:eek: ;)

But it doesn't seem to work with me, I got my bookmarks all setup in Safari, import, it says it's successful, but it doesn't seem to be... Well, it is beta, so thanks anyway.

llama :)

12. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i just found flock and i'm trying to figure out what it is. it doesn't seem to be to be a browser that competes with safari or ffx. it seems to me to be a niche browser for the social community. it almost seems to compete with iGoogle to me. it's like that combined with an ease of use for uploading and sharing to your various accounts for social sharing

13. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I just discovered this too. I guess my immediate question would be "Why would I want a different browser?" And, from their website, I can't see any real answer to that question. So, I guess I'll stick with Safari. Oh, maybe I'll give it a try, but I don't see any really compelling reason to use it, from what I've seen.