Flock Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by satans_banjo, Dec 11, 2005.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London
    I've got a pre-beta of it. Here's what the website says

Source: www.flock.com

2. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Hasn't this been able to download for over a month now?

I tried it out, wasn't too impressed. It's basically Firefox with prebuilt extensions and extra bugs, all in a slightly prettified wrapper.
  3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    There are some opinions on Flock in this thread, but there seems to be little Flock talk, generally speaking.

I'm up for downloading it, using it as my "regular browser" for a week and reporting back. Anybody with me?
  4. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    I tried the Windows version today.... couldn't figure out the whole bookmarks thing so I went back to Firefox after about 20 minutes.
  5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I tried Flock for about a week on multiple computers, hated the way the bookmarks are handled as well as the RSS feed handling, so I dumped it for Safari.

And now I'm trying out DeerPark.
  6. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, the bookmarks are nice, but a bit confusing. I have been using flock as my main broswer now for about month and a half. The bookmarks allow for easier first step, easier last step, and it adds an extra step in the middle that is a bit tangling. Deer Park does the same thing doesn't it?... oh wait that Camino my other browser. The main weakness of Flock is bugs and speed. But it does have one great feature that hasn't been touched upon yet, it caches your history folder:eek: . Yes it does what Spotlight did on you hard drive to your history. Just type in one word of a page you were on and the results will show up almost instanentously. Its quite amazing and may I say very attractice, especially when more and more sites make their titles irrelevant to their topics. That is the only reason I use Flock as my main browser, so when I'm researching or reading about something I can find it later. Of course, the speed of Camino would be great. OHH I FORGOT RSS SUCKS ON FLOCK!!!!
  7. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London
    i'm using hourly builds on it now. here are some things i hope they'll include as time goes by:
    - imageshack integration
    - FTP sidebar
    - better RSS

..and of course less bugs
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It seems okay, but them seem obsessed with stars.

Until the browser gets a bit better, I'm getting it the flock off my machine. :p