Flood of OEM MBP Batteries on eBay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vv-tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. vv-tim macrumors 6502

Anyone have any idea what's up with this?

MBP Batteries

They all claim to be OEM. I've been looking for an extra battery on eBay for a month or two now and there's usually maybe 2 or 3 tops. Now there's like 30+ all claiming to be brand new (at really good prices I might add).

Anyone heard any rumors about fake batteries?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They're all trying to sell the old batteries that were recalled by Apple. I wonder if Apple will go after them and charge them for the batteries they're not sending back.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. coastertux macrumors regular

According to the description, they are not recalled batteries.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Some specifically say that they're not part of the recall, while others are silent on the issue. And since most of them use a stock battery photo instead of a pic of the actual item being offered, you can't see the serial number to be sure.

They could also be new ones from people who ordered a replacement under the program and are just keeping their old one and hoping to make a buck on the new one.

6. vv-tim thread starter macrumors 6502

The recall was my first guess as well...

But there's a bunch from the same seller as well. So unless he's got a ton of MBPs?

7. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Is it really that much of a problem if they are recall batteries? You could just send them in.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

But if it's a recalled battery for which a replacement was already sent out (the original owner would have had to have submitted the serial number of the battery in order to get the replacement), then Apple's not going to send out another new battery.