Floppy disk reader

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Deepdale, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Just when I thought there would never be a need for this, it turns out there are approx. 20-25 text files that were saved to floppies from 1995-1998 that I must access now. Apple Store informed me that I would not find one there, so now I am hoping that Tek-Serve will have something available tomorrow. In November this search would have been unnecessary because I was planning to discard all those floppies at the end of this month.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We've still got some relatively new Lacie floppy drives for the work Macs that were purchased just in case. However, they've been packed away and I doubt they'll ever see the light of day again...

Even the least computer-literate colleagues of mine are starting to use flash drives now.

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know how you feel, I had to get some files off an old disk and had no methos to do it. Even all the Dell's in my office don't have floppy drives! I ended up getting an external USB1.0 one from ebuyer for £10 which isn't too bad. Probably never use it again!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Find a friend with a Windows PC. They still have those antiquated magnetic drives :p

5. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Thanks to you and Blue Velvet for your replies. My first Mac was a Performa 578 back in 1995, but when my iMac G3 came as a replacement in 2000, the floppies had followed the dinosaurs into oblivion.

The odd thing is I wanted to purchase an Imation floppy disk reader several years ago for such an eventuality, but being a procrastinator in certain respects will return to haunt you at inopportune times.

I also must get an external hard drive soon so that I have a place to safely back up my 1,725 song library in iTunes, which takes up 7.3 GB in space. At least there will be no trouble finding one of those.

Painful lesson learned: Take timely action!

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

A USB drive isn't that expensive. If you're really cheap, you could buy one, use it once, and return it.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i like your style. At least it would be something like that which is a computer...people do that in my CVS with like hair care products and they are all sticky...ew. :)

8. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

A co-worker also suggested I stop in at Kinko's and see if they have disk drives that can be used while renting one of their workstations. If so, I could open the files I need and e-mail them to myself. That would prove to be a good alternative ... if not, Tek-Serve will be one of my stops later.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Another good plan. And bring a CD-Rom and just burn them onto that, rather than emailing.

10. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Thanks for the CD idea. I just returned from Kinko's and they said they have no floppy drives.

11. California macrumors 68040

California

I've got two. Purchased new Smartdisk floppies; one for my mom's iMac (matching colors -- snapped on the blue module -- it was made to match iMacs) and one for my Tibook (matching Titanium color)

You can find em on eBay and I think some APple stores might still carry them. I got mine at the Apple University Store at UCLA.

12. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I am using a computer at Tek-Serve right now. They have a LaCie disk reader for $29.99 ... after I finish looking at a few other items in the store, I will purchase it.

13. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Mission accomplished

I purchased the LaCie Pocket Floppy Disk Drive earlier and went through the contents of 28 floppies. It turned out that many more items (approximately 400 articles, letters and saved e-mail correspondence) were then copied onto the hard drive of my iMac.

It hardly matters, but for such a compact product it was rather noisy. I wonder if LaCie drives tend to be louder than those of their competitors? I am so pleased that everything went without incident ... it proved to be a wise move going to Tek-Serve.

It was another dreary day in New York City and I was soaked by the time I returned home. With the objective met, I can say that I am smiling now despite the horrid weather. It is great when a plan comes together.