Florida city official seeking sex change fired

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This has been all over the news since yesterday:

CNN

You know, my gut reaction about people who want to change their gender is: I find it pretty disgusting, I don't know how anybody could want to do it...and it's none of my damn business.

I don't buy the commissioners' argument about "turmoil and work disruption" or "lost confidence". And it may be possible for them to fire Stanton "without cause" at any time, but it's neither moral nor right. As long as the man (or woman) is doing the job, I don't know why it's anybody else's business.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Disgusting, why?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Really? Why?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sad. this shouldn't have any bearing what-so-ever on his job.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No protection under employment law; none under anti-discrimination laws... It was a newpaper that outed him. Where are the privacy laws?

There for the grace of god go many of us.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

The only disgusting thing is this blatantly discriminatory dismissal.

7. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

The commissioners name is Gay Gentry....that's a hell of a name. :D

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Disgusting why?" :eek:

Imagine doing it yourself...having your penis and scrotum cut off and getting injected to grow breasts....

That doesn't creep you out? It's so commonplace it doesn't give you qualms?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Typical employer, if you end up in the paper or get dragged out of the office in cuffs.

You just may end up out of a job.

Making it public at a news conference is likely a close third.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

From what I've gathered in an academic setting (classes that deal with gender issues and sexuality) as well as with people I know personally, it is literally feeling like your body does NOT match up with who you are.

Isn't that more "disgusting?" Knowing that part of your physical body is so alien to you as a person? Not personally identifiying as transgendered and yet still having body image issues, I can only try to imagine how disoncerting it would be to constanly feel that my body betrays who I really am inside.

For the record, not all transgendered people opt for surgery. And not all who do opt for surgeries undergo the more extreme procedures.

11. vniow macrumors G4

Nope.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, surgery does tend to be kind of on the icky side. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want heart bypass surgery if that was the only way to save my life.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Well as I'm perfectly happy with being male, I think male and I feel male. So I've not had to make those kind of decisions.
    However if I felt different I think I would have no problem making those changes.
    As for "creeping me out"?
    Nope, not at all. Why should it?

I find it very hard to understand why some people have a problem with it.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I just couldn't imagine...

Ah, I'm just messing with you because I'm a post-op transsexual and know more about this issue than I was letting on. If you are genuinely interested in the problems involved that drive people like me to what seems like drastic measures, then you're welcome to get in touch. I say that because I like you and admire your views; that's not an open invitation to just anyone.

There. My public outing on this forum. :D

I just don't care who knows it anymore. Just please don't think of me and others like me as 'disgusting'. ;)

15. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

It's not right to force kids to have a transsexual teacher. I mean so many make such a big fuss about things like prayer in school and yet they don't bat an eyelash over transsexual teachers. If I had kids I wouldn't want them being educated in that kind of environment.

16. bartelby macrumors Core

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Erm, forcing people into practising religious practices and having a TS teacher are totally different!!!

It's not like the teacher will force the kids into surgery!

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of environment is that exactly? If you met me, you wouldn't even know.

I work in an office, I enjoy good working relationships with my colleagues, I have friends from all backgrounds and all walks of life, I even enjoy good relationships within my own family including my little nephew. My friends have children, some of whom I've baby-sitted and looked-after before.

Your ignorance about real life astounds me. Lift your head from that book and look around you.

18. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Not everyone agrees with these "alternative lifestyles."

19. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek: :eek:
    I'm speechless!!

EDIT: Why did you edit your post?

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's so unbelievably offensive. There's nothing about my life that is alternative... it's not a lifestyle, my friend.

You're showing your hatred; what would Jesus say?

21. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

It's not hatred. I just think changing your sex is a sign of mental illness. As for what Jesus would say, He might say why have you desecrated that which I created?

22. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Because I realized I went too far and I was wrong for making that comment.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Perhaps so. It's classified as a psychological condition with probable genetic causes. That's why there's a treatment for it. Learn about what you judge lest you be taken for a fool.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

MENTAL ILLNESS?!?!?!?!:eek: :eek:

WTF?

Forum rule do not permit me to say what I want to say!!!

25. Queso macrumors G4

Another good old dose of Christian charity from you Kalns, although I have to say Thomas Veil's surprised me more on this debate.

Thomas, stop projecting. It's not your life or your penis under discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.