Florida man convicted of murdering 3-year-old "gay" son

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 19, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

In this case, I think the homophobia was a side effect of the real disease of child-beater. I'm not sure whether that's comforting or not. There are some sick people out there.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You could be right, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who think this type of thing is somewhat justified.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

wdlove posted this earlier IIRC. Horribly tragic, and indicative of the perils associated with gayness. Imagine letting where someone else puts their goodies enrage you... it's just pathetic.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Give him life, PLEASE. Don't let him reproduce!

Makes me shudder...

scem0

6. Brian0523 macrumors member

Hard to believe/understand that SOB was only convicted to 2nd degree murder. There is no justice.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Horrid people. Captain Norplant to the resuce!

Idle thought: I wonder who Ronnie and Nywhatever (the link won't load anymore) voted for in the 2004 election?

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm not picking on you in particular 'munger,its just I have a bee in my bonnet about the predijuce against ill people.I don't see this thing as having a illness he appears to be a straight out bastard the result of media propelled homophobia and macho society.Most of the people with mental illness are at no danger of hurting anybody except maybe themselves(there are exceptions and they need help not ostracism).The crimes committed by straight up "normal" family people apall me.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Whether Ronnie was ill or not.. well that may never be known.

However, clearly he is not very intelligent. Thinking that you can beat the gay out of your child? And then using sufficient force to cause a (probable) brain hemorage? On a 3 year old? Not being able to recognize that maybe what you're doing is harmful to your child's well-being?

I take it back. Clearly Ronny is ill. And 'tarded.

10. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Ugh

These stories friggin make me sick. Life's too good for this bastard. :(

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No, it's not. He'll get exactly what he deserves in prison.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Wasn't this in one of the two sad articles that wdlove posted a few days ago?

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess it is- I missed it. Sorry.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's good that this trial came to a swift conclusion. The jury did the correct thing by finding him guilty. Now if the judge will follow through next month and sentence him to life in prison without the possibility of payroll. He should never be allowed to do this ever again.

Hope that his wife will also be found guilty and sentenced to 15 years in prison. If I were the judge, could go for a plea bargain where she agrees to be sterilized.

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Hell yes - makes me want to buy some popcorn and watch.

Sick story, for sure - though this is just the tip of the iceberg WRT the abuse, neglect and abandonment faced by many LGBT youth and teens. A friend of mine out here was chased out of his house by a shotgun-wielding father...

You have to wonder the motivation: is it gender-role and behavior, "gay panic", homophobia in general, or some other factor? Some of the more vocal homophobes on MR have suggested that Queers should expect violence and backlash because of increased public consciousness and the push for marriage equality - there may be a grain of truth to this, however, I think there's a number of interventions that could have been made with the father that aren't related to homophobia at all: anger management, counseling, and parenting classes. I also fault school systems around the country unwilling to start anti-bullying campaigns, include frank and honest discussions of homosexuality as part of a spectrum of sexual orientations in sex-ed classes, and for that matter retreating to and being guided by homophobic religious dogma in their curriculua - who knows how old the father is, perhaps he went to school before all of these movements were taking place, but regardless, this should be a wake-up call to folks who want to push Queers into the closet again: this could have been any parent and any child, or for that matter a neighbor and your child. Exactly from what are we "protecting" these kids anyhow? It's just like Yoda says - "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

On a side note: Wow, I didn't think anyone read The Advocate anymore - I stopped reading it around 1994. Of course, I'm still waiting for the old Lesbian Community News to come back, but that's just a pipe dream.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can't teach kids not to bully their gay classmates. They might catch gay from talking about why it's not ok to bully gay kids...

At the very least they'll be brainwashed by the homosexual agenda if we tell them it' not ok to bully people for any reason including their sexual orientation...

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

You're in cynical mode today - not even the "rolleyes".

Hard not to be though, hard not to be...

18. mpw Guest

I understand that not all with mental illness are a danger to others, and I understand that not all who are a danger to others have a mental illness. But where do you draw the line when you've got a story like this guy who may not be medically mentally ill but is obviously far enough removed from what most ‘sane’ people would think is acceptable to be considered ‘of sound mind’.

I don’t believe I have a prejudice against ill people but I recognise that some ill people do pose a real danger and need to be locked away. Even if we don’t have the resources to keep them separated in a caring, safe, nurturing and healthy environment where there's 'help' rather than ostracisasion (sp?)they still need to be removed from the general populous.

It may not be popular but more and more I’m thinking we (as ‘western’ societies) are way too soft on those within our society who threaten our safety.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's true- not when everything you hear about us is bad.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with that. The fundemental cause of this tragedy was not homophobia but uncontrollable violent tendencies. I'd bet anything I have that this guy has a history of violence - domestic abuse, barroom brawls, sudden outbursts, whatever. Maybe the homophobia became a focal point for his rage in this case, but no way was it the underlying cause.

21. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Even though I'm not religious in the Judeo-Christian sense, I try to remember the parable of Wise King Solomon and the ring that reads, "This too shall pass." Which to me is semi-useful thing to keep in mind... It's a shame it wasn't in time for this 3-year-old, though.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But you don't find it frightening that he would use homophobia as an excuse or some twisted justification? I sure as hell do.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

;)

I need a volunteer for an expirement. I wanna see if it's possible to beat the hetro out of a person. I'll pound on you for a while and we'll see if you start to feel gay at some point.
    :eek:

24. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

LOL - this really had me laughing, so much so I briefly considered making it my signature... Thanks!

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That sounds like fun! Come on! Who's the first volunteer? :)