Florida to Tax Home Networks?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Jun 24, 2004.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Looks like it's time to move again. If it's like most things, they should say that it doesn't target individuals since that would abridge their personal freedoms.

4. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Like craigdawg asked, how can these idiots detect a network?

I just remembered an interesting quote that I read awhile ago in an unrelated broadband sharing thread:

Is the above correct?

This possible tax will just go on my already long list of reasons why Miami sucks. I can't wait to get out of here someday.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

F***in' Florida. Can't buy AppleCare here, now this. Maybe it is time to move :rolleyes:

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I will point out that the only tax the Constitution allows for is a (land) property tax... When you let the government start taxing stuff they're not allowed to, like income, gas, and cigarettes, they'll eventually tax anything they can. Think about how few taxes there were 100 years ago (this was before income tax). Then think about how many there will be in another 100...

paul

7. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

There's a US Constitution amendment for income tax. States can tax on anything within their borders, and the federal government can regulate interstate commerce.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

This really sucks. I am not sure how this would be enforced, but I assume they have a plan for that. If it is sucessful in Florida, then you know that it will migrate to other states. So much for freedom in your own home :mad:

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    one more reason for the official name to be changed to Floriduh

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's not precise. You can buy AppleCare here, but as a consumer, you cannot use it.

idkew:

Have you noticed my location for the past year or so? :D

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

prolly, but not b4 i worte that.

anyway, since you live there, maybe you could start a grassroots campaign to get the name "fixed"

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, i know, but it's an amendment that shouldn't have happened. the founding fathers, coming from a country that used taxes as a tool for *everything*, seemed to dislike the idea of taxing anything but land. Then someone screwed that up, and the government got huge. hmm.

someone should have caught on when the government started taxing contraband (drug tax stamps). they'll keep slapping taxes on things until we're all swallowed by it, living off other's taxes in government aid. kind of like, gradual communism i guess. hell, even welfare is taxed.

and the government will continue to be addicted to taxing, until the libertarians finally take over ;)

paul

13. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I'm sorry I just don't see any dollar amounts mentioned. 16% of what, your gross salary? My mom lives in Deland just outside of Daytona and runs a private movie production company and a Ford leasing program for the movie industry, as well as a few other side businesses (she's very into working at 68 years old). This could put a serious dent in the income depending what this 16% refers to. :eek:

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Almost looked like they were going to start taxing the equipment and services.

So the network consultants bill would be taxed along with any equipment they installed/repaired/replaced.

But that would be a PIA since retail stores wouldn't know exactly what to tax.

15. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

And if you purchased your equipment out of state say through CDW and pay no tax at purcahse time, how is someone going to know what you have? :D Is UPS and FedEx going to keep track of what they deliver and to who? This is similar to trying to track the cable connections in one's house. Once the "Cable Guy” leaves anyone with a few extra connectors can set up 5 TV in the house from a single cable input. This just makes no sense to me. One cable, one phone line, one satellite dish. Can they really determine the amount of usage? and what if they get it wrong you think you'd get a refund? NOT!!

There's that "O" word again. How would you outsource a network and not have a link to it from where you are, you still need to talk to it, and they (tax man) would probably find a way to know that also :mad:
    So unless you can post all your equipment outside of Florida, and communicate via cell phone to say Georgia for all your files and printing and data storage, your screwed.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is the problem once the Genie is let out of the box, it's almost impossible to put it back. Our current government lives to grow and that is by a stream to your wallet. We had JFK and Reagan that were on our side smaller government and lower taxes.

17. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Interesting observation wdlove, a Democrat and a Republican on opposite sides of opinion but on same side of desires.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

People in Floriduh don't think it's funny or appropriate, which is why it's funny and appropriate. :D We should probably change the name for the majority of the residents to Floridumbdumbs, too. It's a little longer than Floridians, but it fits far too often. :(

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This has to be the lamest tax idea ever proposed in recent times. I bet it was thought up by the Technophobe party.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The thing is the tax is on how much it costs to operate the network and doesn't include money for capital investment into the network. How much does it cost to operate a lan in your house? 20 maybe 30 cents a year for electricity?

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

One of the reasons my dish receiver isn't hooked up to a phone line and I will never get a TIVO.

A mans home should be his castle. Bring me a data feed to the house, but once its inside, sod off. If I want to split it, its up to me. If I want to rescramble it so I only catch half glimpses of things that might be naughty its fine, if I want to descramble something thats scrambled, get better encryption! If I want to listen to Negativland while watching the scrambled Playboy channel thats should be up to me.

22. darkwing macrumors 65816

I seriously doubt this will ever happen. First off, Jeb Bush isn't going to approve those rules. He already said he isn't in favor of them, and it's the news poitning out that "some people" are afraid he'll be swayed. Right. Who are these people?

Besides, anybody with half a brain can figure out that the only two ways they could do this are:

1) Go door to door.

2) Require people to report the use of such devices and pay for them.

In either case, that costs will offset the revenue unless they do #2 and don't try to enforce it somehow. Anybody with half a brain knows this isn't a way to do it.

If Florida really wanted to grow revenues, they should just keep doing what they've been doing. Florida created twice as many jobs as the other 49 states combined doubled in 2003. (as compared to the ones that actually created some, that is.)

Just food for thought.

Steve

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Perhaps W should drop Cheney and bring his brother on as veep.

It would be like a lesbian marriage... (leaving out the why cause its just a little to crude) :D

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The puppet's only as good as the puppeteer :D