Florida?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JLS, Sep 2, 2004.

1. JLS macrumors 6502

Im heading out to Kissimmee near Orlando this Saturday.. what are the chances of my flight being cancelled or whatever.. and if I do get there what the hell do you do if a hurricane is headed right for your house? - not having much experience living in England..

Any advice welcome - I cant seem to find any info on what to do if you are going to be a target for a a hurricane.. and im sure local news is better than the crap im getting on cnn uk.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Your flight will most likely be cancelled or diverted. Sorry. After the storm it should be fine....

How long were you planning on staying? I've got some family down there, right in the path of the hurricane, not fun....

D

3. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

Im just going for the week.. but im going to be annoyed if its cancelled.. I can cope with a diversion, and getting what.. a train there or something.. its a bit annoying though as its going to eat into my week.. :S

Hope your family are ok.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Saturday is when it's going to hit the area. I'm not sure whether either airport will still be open or not but it's a good bet that they won't be.

Here are links to the local newspaper and major t.v. channels:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/
    http://www.local6.com/
    http://www.wftv.com/
    http://www.wesh.com/

I would not advise coming. The hurricane is now a category 4. The winds are 100 - 140 mph right now. It may increase in intensity before landfall.

Kissimmee just got the power back on a few days ago--it was out for more than a week. There is also a huge potential for flooding and that area is flood-prone.

They were talking yesterday about a storm surge of 18 feet--a huge wall of water--on the Atlantic coast where the hurricane will reach land.

After Charley, no one is too excited about inviting Frances into their house.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very true, even though the weather will be nice after the storm, if its a big one and cause severe damage, it won't be a place you're going to want to stay in for a week.

I hope it downgrades before hitting florida....although right now its at 145MPH winds - at 155MPH it goes to a category 5 - this won't be good...

D

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, Charley was category 3 until it was close to landfall when it upgraded itself. I think their worst fears are going to be realised with this one. I'm hoping that I'll be back online within a month.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

On the noon news, they announced that Orlando International Airport will close at noon on Friday, so they would have to divert the flight.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    http://hurricane.accuweather.com/ad...p?ocean=atlantic&storm=Frances&imagetype=move

I would say that even that is going to be coming in on the edges of it.

Are they closing it to inbound or outbound at noon? ie is that the time for the last plane out?

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sure that there will be some cancellations and diversions. Sure hope that you will be safe and secure. The cone area they show certainly shows that Huricaine Francis has Florida as its target.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

11. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I was supposed to go to Orlando tonight, but the trip was cancelled yesterday because of Frances.

No child of mine will ever be named Frances. :mad:

;)

12. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

"Hurricane Frances continues to gather strength as it approaches Florida. It is currently expected to come ashore near Melbourne, about 35 miles south east of Orlando, between 13:00 and 14:00 UK time on Saturday 4 September, and to track directly over Kissimmee/Orlando by 17:00 UK time on Saturday. Florida has implemented emergency procedures. Orlando and Tampa International Airports will close on Friday morning local time 3 September, and remain closed until at least Monday morning."

Looks like I won't be coming on Saturday then...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front...7029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385531

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Cape Kenedy has already been closed. The Air Force has moved all their planes inland. The Navy has taken their ships out of sea.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, Patrick AFB is closed, for the first time in the history of the base.

15. thejazzman10 Guest

a little off topic, but here the hurricanes rotate counter-clockwise-the graphic shows that it is going clockwise. sorry, just had to pint that out.
    sorry to all the people in florida.... :(

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Umm, if no one's actually said it yet: Our prayers go out to you, bousozoku, and anyone else in the path of this storm. I know that some of my friends down around Cocoa Beach are already in the process of evacuating and I hope that you will do whatever is necessary to be safe over the next few days.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thanks, that's very kind. I hope your friends will be fine. I was thinking about having power for just over a week and now this. How am I supposed to use the computer? :D

I'm just glad that the people in southwest Floriduh are mostly out of the path of this one. Cocoa Beach up to Daytona Beach are the ones in serious danger. If not the wind and flying debris, then the wall of water will be difficult. Of course, someone will be trying to surf.

Considering the path of the storm, I wonder if DisneyWorld will be snapped in two.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to bousozoku, his family and friends, and other MacRumors members that life in Florida. May the preparation be fruitful. My only experience is with tornadoes. From that experience it was preparation and common sense that made all the difference.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Good luck bousozoku - I'm sure everyone is clearing the selves at the stores, its amazing the panic people can get in when having to face something like this.

Any chance they'd evacuate you?

D

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's unlikely as I'm further inland. The only possible issue is flooding and hopefully, that will be temporary, if it happens at all. My adoptive parents, unfortunately, have decided to drive over and get me. If it makes them feel more secure and doesn't drive me too crazy, I suppose it's worth my inconvenience.

I went into K-Mart earlier for Mountain Dew and the food shelves had been picked clean. It reminded me of my days with blizzards, except that there was toilet paper. I love watching them, though, it's the only part of this that makes me laugh.

wdlove:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm sure the others appreciate that too.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

good luck for all the macrumors users in florida

but i still wonder how high the prices for small diesel powered emercengy electricity generators are...

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't know. Most of them I've seen use gasoline. :D

Unfortunately, the price is high. Several people have died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

got a 'book? stock up on batteries :D or get a gigundo ups if you've a desktop :D :D

24. relimw macrumors 6502a

Yippe! Tho, since this was posted they've changed the track 2 or 3 times, and it's dropped to a cat 3, and expected to restrengthen. Ah well, I'll be staying here in Melbourne for it.... Give a prayer for us.

:(

25. relimw macrumors 6502a

No idea, ours is gasoline. Course, if you didn't buy fuel yesterday in brevard county, you won't be able to buy any tommorrow. They've just about pumped all the fuel out of the county.

We thank ya'll for your prayers.