Flu Season Nothing To Sneeze At

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Oct 13, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i hope we can get the nose-spray vaccines up here at school. doubtful, but it would encourage so many more people to get vaccinated.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

people always say what a bad flu season it's going to be... but i never pay much attention to it. i hardly get the flu, but i've got a bit of it now... yeah 3 to 5 days off work is about right. :p

i always say you should just try and stay healthy, eat right, and look after yourself. :)

4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I'm full aware how flu shots work, but it still strikes me as strange that the only time in my life I've gotten the flu is the one time I got a shot. Everyone in my family can have the flu, and I, even without a flu shot, don't get it. I ain't too worried.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In that article, the head of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group says that the only people who shouldn't get flu shots are "those who are severely allergic to chicken eggs -- or those who have had a severe allergic reaction to flu vaccines in the past". Is this just a lone opinion or is there a different consensus this year? In past years, my doctor has told me that only certain demographic groups were recommended for flu shots.

And what determines whether the shot or the spray is most appropriate?

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think before there wasn't sufficient quantity to vaccinate the whole population, so they focused on groups in danger first.

On the shot versus the spray, I think the main difference, or at least the most important difference to me, is the $50+ added cost to the spray. I think I will take a shot and save $50. :D

7. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

It's recommended for everyone because the medical cartel just wants to sell more flu shots :rolleyes:

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that the drug manufactures have a profit motive.

Doctors care for the safety of their patients. On our local channel WCVB Dr. Timothy Johnson is the medical editor. His recommendation was that everyone should consider getting the flu vaccine. Those 50 and over definitely should receive the flu shot. The nose spray are just for those undr 50. The flu is very serious disease with it's sied effects. There is concern that those that get the flu will be more prone to get SARS. Also if the majority are vaccinated, it will make the diagnosis of SARS easier.

9. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I was in a sarcastic mood this morning. I agree with the value of the flu shot, however, I will not be getting one, as I have successfully survived multiple flu seasons before.

Besides, if I get the flu, it'll be a good opportunity for my immune system to build up strength :)

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is that because the nose spray is less effective, so it shouldn't be given to the groups at higher risk?

11. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Besides passing on the flu to other people, and missing work, what are the dangers of the flu? Not that getting a shot is going to help any now, because I'm just getting over the flu, but I'm just curious.

12. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Influenza epidemics used to be fairly serious stuff as late as the early 20th century, I think--high death rates. I remember reading somewhere that the primary threat isn't the flu itself (which I guess would depend on what strain you got) but the secondary infections that could take advantage of flu-weakened immune systems, like pneumonia. And I believe the very young and very old would be the most at-risk groups. Children are virtual petri dishes of contagion because they're packed into schools all day and haven't accumulated the antibodies their elders have, and seniors' immune systems may be a bit weaker to begin with.

I could, of course, also be roundly mis-informed, so I invite any medical professionals present to correct me.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I thought I heard the Nose one is more potent then the shot...

And that they don't want people above 50 to have to fight the Flu Spray which might be as worse as the Flu itself!

This is the numbness you feel in after your arm when you have got the shot, white blood cells eating the Flu...

:eek:

14. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I would like to take this opportunity to thank wdlove for the regular, timely, and always helpful free personal health advice :)

15. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

The honest answer is that the nose spray is untested in the general population, so they don't know what the effect will be yet. It is critical that those over 50, disabilities, or immune compromised get the shot. The shot is proven to be effective. For those in the above groups it is crucial to prevent the flu. The risk is SARS, other severe bacterial infections which can result in hospitalization. There is also always a small risk of death for those in the weakest condition.

16. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

17. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

:( I am sorry to hear that news wdlove.

I heard that the flu drifted from one of the strains in the vaccine, and that the vaccine might possibly help make the infection less severe. But I can't point you guys to a source, so I could be wrong....

BTW I am vaccinated! :)

18. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Good for you Stelliform. I think that getting the vaccine is a positive. It will stimulate your immune system. I agree that it should be a help if a slightly different strain were to come along.

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/flu/vacfacts.htm

Seems that the vaccine will give some "cross-protection" for the flu that is going around and if not it will make the flu less severe for those who get the vaccine.

I'll be getting the vaccine shot Tuesday when they have another flu vaccination clinic at college.

20. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Also, according to the advertisements I have seen, the FluMist spray contains the live virus and not a dead virus like the shot.

21. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear that you are going to get the flu shot FelixDerKater, it's a very smart move on your part.

Yes, the FluMist Spray is a live virus. That is one of the reasons why it is not recomended for those over 55, disabled, or immune compromised. The efficacy or value has not yet been determined.

22. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

It's true.

I had the flu most of last week and I know tons of people who either have it or have already come down with it. Colorado is getting slammed.

23. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about your ilness Durandal7. When a person has the Flu, there is never really any doubt. It is a total body envolvement, with the fever, body ache, and respiratory. Hope that you are feeling much better now? Were you able to enjoy Thanksgiving? Will you be getting a Flu Vaccination nexrt year?

24. Dros macrumors 6502

I'm not a medical professional, but I'll jump in anyway. The flu epidemics that killed so many people were due to the flu virus being very different those years. As I understand it, the flu virus genome is in 6 segments. Those really bad flu strains happened when the human flu virus mixed one or more of the segments with a related virus that usually infects some barnyard animal (pig or chicken, maybe?). The new virus was less adapted to the human host and so ripped right through it. Viruses tend to become less severe over time... a dead host is not very good at spreading it around. That is why it is important for the CDC to keep an eye out for severe flu outbreaks and design vaccines to counter any that appear. It wouldn't be just the children and elderly and otherwise sick that would be in trouble.

25. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove