Fluctuating Battery Battery Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JDN, Oct 7, 2006.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

I downloaded Coconut battery and, well .... i think its making me a bit paranoid. I check maybe once a week to see whats going on with the capacity, and the last time i checked it was down to 84%. (I have a MBP bought in July 2006 ... 2Ghz CD 1Ghz RAM 15") So, i run the battery down to emergency sleep, plug the power cable in, turn the MBP off and let it charge fully. Then i turn it back on after 4/5 hours, battery is 100% charged at 97% capacity. I leave it a couple of days, check the capacity and its at 88%.

So for about a week now iv been trying to get my MBP battery to have better capacity ... but no matter what i do the capacity fluctuates. Its back down to 84%.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is this normal?

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Perhaps you should stop being like this guy and just be happy with your Mac! I really don't get it, why spend so much on a Mac after being lured by the supposed peace of mind, only to end up getting all paranoid and installing heaps of monitors/thermometers/anti thief software? That mac may be an expensive "investment", but between a cheap PC running heaps of antiviral software/spyware scanners and a Mac with its dashboard loaded to its brim with various sensor monitors/overheating alarms (with your STM laptop bag filled to the brim with stuff like iClear and what.. Mr Clean Eraser, your keyboard covered with NotebookSaverZ, and a wrist read protector to protect against staining and pitting), what's the difference? Oh yeah it runs OSX, Dells run OSX too! Like I care.

It is a tool, it is not like a child that is coughing or running a fever, it doesn't need to be babied.

3. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bloody hell, calm down. This is my first ever Mac and i was just looking for some advice. There's no need to be so arrogant.

4. andriella macrumors member

I don't know what causes it, but I have the same problem.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had the same problem, seems like it was draining fast, I called Apple yesterday and today, I have a new batt for my macbook, I am going to watch this one too....I was at 81% and 161 cycles, the replaced it...that was nice

6. rmarasa macrumors member

Are you plugging in your power adapter to the wall socket first, before you plug it into your MBP? It sounds like you may have corrupted your PMU (Power Management Unit). This is a simple thing to try first. Refer to this KB article for more info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

P.S. Do not try this step more than once.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

thats not my problem.....but thanks