FlyakiteOSX Official Site is amazing!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotdotdot, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

osx.portraitofakite.com

Did anyone here see this??? It is awesome!!! They made the entire site like an OSX desktop... you can change themes, etc... theres a dock and finder bar and icons... and its all for a Windows XP transformation pack site...

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Wow I think that looks really cool. Interesting find.

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

*shaking my head*

That is INCREDIBLE. I struggle to even put up a half-decent "about me" kind of website, and Flyakite makes that piece of work.

Talk about a true Aqua-soft dedication.

4. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Wow, that must have been a project to write! Very cool.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Flyakite engineer(s?) are seriously awesome! I dunno if any of you have tried their actual products but aside from the usual issues of having a different GUI on Windows (read: hard to use/not intuitive) it's really one of the best - best I've tried at least. :)

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

WOW

That is amazing :eek:

Well will download V 2.0 and see how much better it is :rolleyes:

7. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Looks great to me too apart from the windows that open are half hidden behind the finder bar at the top and I cant move them down. I have no idea what this site is about or for.

8. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Yeah I noticed that too in Safari. Tried it in Firefox and it worked fine though. Kind of ironic if it doesn't work properly in Safari :)

Very very well done though. Top work.

9. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

10. flyakite macrumors newbie

lol, thanks for the comments everyone. This site has been a one man project basically. My friend Al helped me a lot during the initial conception, and he was the inspiration behind the site.

As for the Safari bug, yeah I know about that, and just haven't implemented a fix yet. For some really weird reason, Safari understands document.clientWidth but not document.clientHeight. I use a function to center each floating window, using both of those, but Safari ignores clientHeight. I'll implement a fix eventually, however I need a break. The site took me about 3 months of solid work and late nights.

In all honestly I'm surprised the site works well in Safari at all. It's 100% IE and FF compatible on the PC and basically fully compatible in Safari minus that bug. That and Safari doesn't seem to have the ability to do layer opacity yet, that's why the floating window shadows on the site are completely black, instead of transparent like they should be.

Thanks again everyone. At least people haven't started ripping on me yet for trying to turn a PC into a Mac (in all honesty I don't use my own software, I just do this for the PC community, and I enjoy the challenge)

11. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, your software is great!

(OOh! I have a suggestion!! Can you please make a finderbar that works WITH the taskbar enabled? I love the finderbar, and I love the taskbar, and I'm sure a lot of people running Flyakite would like that! Of course the user would be able to use just the taskbar or just the finderbar...)

12. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

This site is truly amazing. I showed it to one of my windows friends that loved mac. He thought it was really special as-well.

13. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

You should be rightfully proud of what you have done there chap, it is quite stunning.

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks for the software ;)
    You did a geat job :rolleyes:

This is good for the PC people who like mac but don't have one or can't stand the GUI on windoze while they are on that platform :p

Well since you don't use your own software....do you use a mac or :confused:

15. flyakite macrumors newbie

I do own an iBook, but it's only a 900mhz G3 with 256mb ram, so it's not the quickest design machine, which is why I rarely use it.

Basically I just use Windows XP with the Windows Classic theme and normally a dark wallpaper. Sure the Panther/Tiger GUI looks pretty, but to me I find it extremely difficult to use it long term. It's too bright and colorful. I need something simple and easy on the eyes for my PC, since I do a lot of work late at night.

16. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Wow!

I looked at the site, and I didn't know what the software was until now.

Now I can't wait to get home and try it on my PC :D

Good work - I cant say that enough!

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha interesting, so another guy has a G3 iBook. You wouldn't have also won it at your university book store drawing would you?

18. flyakite macrumors newbie

lol, no, I won it from CompUSA by entering a contest where I had to give them $1300 :p. So yeah I bought it new. If you're wondering why I bought it from CompUSA, I was on the road for two months and I didn't feel like ordering it and having to wait until I got home to get it.

It's not a bad machine of course, but compared to my 2.53 Ghz desktop with my 19" monitor, it's hard to justify using the iBook to do any real work on unless I'm away from my main PC.

19. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

It's not working correctly on my work Windows computer, in Firefox nor IE. In Firefox, most of the site functions, but I can't get "documents" (such as screenshots or installers) to load. In IE, only part of the menubar loads and no "Finder" windows ever come up. I've tried with popups blocked and unblocked. I wonder if it's my proxy server (?). Anyone else having similar problems?

20. flyakite macrumors newbie

I was in the process of fixing some things on the site, so some things got screwed up during upload. It should all be fixed now.

Also, the Safari bug where windows did not center properly should be fixed, however I don't have my iBook with me at the moment so I can't verify that. If someone could check and see if the Safari bug is fixed that would be great, thanks.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hey flyakite, that is one awesome site! :cool:

Since you asked: on Safari, the windows are still square and the shadows are still black for me.

Just a side note: it's seriously impressive what you've done. I dunno if you've done this already but maybe include a little disclaimer about how the actual OSX looks a little better due to the constraints of putting a skin on Windows XP. It's just that there are quite a few ignorant people out there who'll judge OSX on flyakite which isn't really fair on either piece of software. :)

22. flyakite macrumors newbie

The windows are supposed to be square, that's just how it's designed. The bug was that they didn't center properly in Safari, which has been fixed now. As for the shadows, they will always appear black until Safari supports layer opacities.

23. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Nice site!

I just have a suggestion: The shadows on that are cast by the windows look pretty bad (in Safari) In Firefox they look a lot better. But, to make it a little more realistic, have the shadows cast downward instead of to the right of the box.

Also in Safari, I'm getting some weird activity on the dock. Things shake a little and icons don't enlarge properly when rolled over.

Everything else looks really, really good, however. I would maybe find a way to do shadows or eliminated them. I find it really interesting to be able to move windows around and click through the menus and stuff. Nice work!

24. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

BTW, mad props for putting a PAVEMENT song on the iTunes part!!!

25. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127