Flyback transformer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cindy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

Anyone know where I can buy a flyback transformer for an eMac? I've checked out some sites via the internet but I'm coming up empty.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not surprising, as this is often a proprietary part. If you had the serial number of the part, you might be able to get a good electronics to cross-reference it for you, but in the end it could well be a wild goose chase. Why not an Apple dealer? They should have them. You don't want to replace this on your own anyway -- lots of high voltage. Ouch!

I remember -- you were the one with the flickering video and I suggested that it was probably a failing flyback transformer. Were you ever able to verify this as the problem?

3. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I haven't actually taken it in and had it diagnosed as a flyback problem. I talked to someone at work who is the computer tech for all the Mac computers and he said he thought more than likely it was the flyback.
    He has heard of the "flickering" sound along with momentarily black screen. Meaning flyback going out.
    He said that it could go any time.
    If I can find him today, I'm going to ask him if he would take a look at it and fix it in his spare time - if he can...
    Whoever I take it to, I guess I'll just let them order the flyback - would be easier. If that is indeed the problem.
    How much would you estimate the flyback costing?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Really hard to say. Since these are usually proprietary parts, they can charge whatever the traffic will allow. If I had to guess, I'd guess around $50-70. Good luck... let me know how it works out.