Flyers Logo PMS Colors

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cursor, May 26, 2004.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Any Flyers fans know what PMS colors make up the orange and black of the Philadelphia Flyers logo? I need to know them for the logo I am designing for my hockey team. Thanks for any help anyone can give!!

2. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Many mega companies and sports teams use "special match" colors that are not in the pantone book for precisely this reason. It stinks, I know.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This may not help...

If your designing this on a CPU, can't you just use an eye dropper tool to get the color from an image? Or maybe I missunderstood something....

Attached Files:

4. bella macrumors member

Eyedropper will give either the CMYK values or the RGB values depending on what format the logo is in. Most likely RGB. No way possible to use the eyedropper to get the PMS colors.

5. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Yeah, I know that is the case for some organizations and teams, but I was just hoping that the Flyers used a straight Pantone system. I could easily be wrong. I don't know. Thanks.

6. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Well, I don't know how dedicated you are to the cause, but you could always take a printed sample (solid color obviously, not CMYK) to the printer and ask them to match it. Around here that costs $200 until they get it right. Our ink house usually does a good job. Reds and Oranges can be awfully tough though.

The good news is that once they get your special match, they keep the formula on file and it will cost the same as any other PMS color when you want to use it.

If you go this route, you may want to eliminate all Flyers related stuff around your orange sample just in case the printer has any, "ethical" reason for now wanting to match what is likely a trademarked color formula.

7. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

And to actually be helpful...

PMS 166 looks kinda close.

However, I'm not a Hockey buff and I don't have any authentic Flyers printed matter to reference.

8. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Just got my hands on a Pantone coated book. You're dead on. Thanks for your help!