flying across the u.s. this monday, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by count chocula, Jul 1, 2006.

1. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

its been over 4 1/2 years since i've flown and i've never flown with gadgets like the ones i have now. i dont know what to expect. i plan on checking my suitcase and carrying on my backpack. the backpack will have my macbook, ipods, psp, money, and probably another random thing or two. could anybody tell me what to expect and/or give me suggestion as to what to do. i'm 15 and this will be my third cross country flight and my second alone, but my first without somebody watching out for me. i also have a one hour layover in dallas on the way there.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Make sure those things are easily accessible for you, since you'll have to take the MacBook out at security, and seats are cramped so you don't want to have to dig a bunch to find things while on the plane. I also recommend headphones other than the regular iPod ones, if you're going to listen to music, since the noise from the plane really drowns them out. If you can get some good over-the-ear kind before your trip, I'd recommend those.

A one hour layover isn't that long, either, so if your flight is at all delayed for some reason, prepare to spend some time running to your next gate!

3. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

thanks, as far as headphones go i have these and i plan to make good use of them. unfortunately, i have a 3 hour layover in chicago on the way back.

edit: i just noticed you're from chi-town, lol

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would also recommend better headphones- I just flew recently and used my iPod headphones (with my 60GB iPod 5G and my MacBook Pro) and I would have preferred to have been using better ones that filter out some of the external noise.

No, it is not a huge delay, so be prepared to be at the next gate in short order. Also, keep an eye on your stuff- you don't want someone snatching your MacBook, iPod, or cash from you. :)

5. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

You might want to get something better if you still have time. While they cover your ears they won't be enough to drown out the airplane engines. I suggest some Sennheisers or Grado if you want to splurge :D

6. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

if i splurge on anything before i leave, it'll be on a nice bag for my macbook. even thats iffy at best at the moment, and unfortunately, i wont be getting new headphones any time soon.

7. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

you bet i'll be keeping any eye on those suckers, i learned my lesson when my ipod mini got stolen about a year ago.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ya, that will teach you a lesson about trusting strangers. :eek: :(

When I was in the airport waiting to get picked up, I kept a firm eye on all of my belongings (my MacBook Pro & iPod in particular). Whether it be a janitor, businessman, grandma, or baby in a stroller, I kept my guard up! :D

9. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Tell me about it... I forgot my jacket in a classroom with my iPod in a pocket, zipped up and someone took my poor fourth gen and left the jacket. :(

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

11. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

ouch

would 26F be an isle seat? i assume its either isle or window.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

no way of knowing until you either ask or get on the plane. my guess is that its a window... if its three and three.... or it could be 2-3-2..... depends on what plane you get...

13. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

ahh. hmm, i hope it isnt really crowded. call me antisocial, but i dont want to be sitting next to a bunch of people.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

My guess is that it would be a window seat.

Seat arrangement usually goes like this (unless it is a larger plane)-

:window: A B C -aisle- D E F :window:

15. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

darn, i cant argue with that logic. i guess window wouldnt be too bad.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you got an e-ticket, you can check in at the little machines and change what seat you're in. It'll usually give you a layout of the plane with where the seats are, and you can choose from available ones.

I personally prefer window seats, 'cause then I have something to lean against and fall asleep on. Plus then I don't get hit by the drink cart.

17. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

is this an e-ticket?

Flight summary

To verify flight information, you can check your flight status and departure
    gate online, or contact the airline directly. Seat assignments, meal
    preferences, and special requests must be confirmed with the airline; we
    cannot guarantee that they will be honored.
    Mon 3-Jul-06

Baltimore (BWI)
    Depart 3:41 pm to Dallas (DFW)
    Arrive 5:57 pm 1,211 mi
    (1,949 km)
    Duration: 3hr 16mn
    AA
    Flight: 821

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3Economy/Coach Class ( 26F ), Food For Purchase, MDC MD80, 70% on time

Dallas (DFW)
    Depart 6:56 pm
    Terminal C to Reno (RNO)
    Arrive 8:19 pm 1,348 mi
    (2,169 km)
    Duration: 3hr 23mn
    AA
    Flight: 1057

3Economy/Coach Class ( 22A ), Food For Purchase, MDC MD80, 30% on time

Total distance: 2,559 mi (4,118 km)
    Total duration: 6hr 39mn (7hr 38mn with connections)

Thu 13-Jul-06

Reno (RNO)
    Depart 11:16 am to Chicago (ORD)
    Arrive 4:59 pm
    Terminal 3 1,676 mi
    (2,697 km)
    Duration: 3hr 43mn
    AA
    Flight: 1940

3Economy/Coach Class ( 28A ), Food For Purchase, Boeing 757, 60% on
    time

Chicago (ORD)
    Depart 8:15 pm
    Terminal 3 to Baltimore (BWI)
    Arrive 11:05 pm 611 mi
    (983 km)
    Duration: 1hr 50mn
    AA
    Flight: 1148

3Economy/Coach Class ( 27F ), MDC MD80, 20% on time

Total distance: 2,287 mi (3,681 km)

also, is there any reason that this info shouldnt be posted? i dont think theres any harm of having this info on the boards, but if you guys think the contrary, it woud be nice to know so i can take it down.

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A true advantage of a window seat! :D

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It sounds to me that you are booked and have an e-ticket, Just be sure to print out everything you can just to be sure.

Have a great trip!

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Holy crap! I'll be in the Reno area (kinda: Markleeville, CA) at the same time. I fly out Monday also, but from from PHL to LAX and am driving north at the weekend for the Death Ride.

Didn't Southwest have a good deal on Philly to Reno? If you're driving out of Hbg you should be quicker getting to PHL than BWI. I've always had good luck flying SW (sorry iGary) and found cheaper direct flights through them than through the other airlines, but I usually book a month or more in advance.

Gadgets are fine to have aboard. Be prepared to turn on your laptop for TSA or have it in sleep when you're passing through security. Since all your flights have connections don't check anything that you absolutely must have. MD80s are junk and you might end up getting in late for a connection and your luggage might not make the jump until later that night or next morning.

21. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Isn't it an "Aisle seat" and not "Isle seat"? Isle seat sounds like a seat on an island :p

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just enjoy the flight. Watch the movies they have onboard, use your iPod, and keep the MacBook in the back while on the plane. In the airport, use your MacBook if you want, but I tend to think that it's too cramped and annoying for the people sitting beside you to use a laptop on the flight. I don't think having the window seat helps, either. It's just a cramped space, and difficult to move your laptop if you need to.

This is the part that seems a bit scary.

*looks around*

23. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

lol

i'm definitely booked, i just hope thats my e-ticket, cuz its all i have. i'll give the person flying me out a call just to make sure. thanks!

129 miles? death ride seems to be a pretty accurate name. anyways, i hope you have a safe flight and a good time. i'll actually be coming from arlington, va. my grandparents are coming today to pick me up and they'll take me to bwi.
    i'd like to not have to check anything, but i think my suitcase is too big for carry-on. also, it shouldnt be too bad, because i'm not switching planes. thanks for your advice about gadgets and my lappy.

looks like i need to reset my signature :eek:

i think i'll most likely keep the macbook off during the flight like you said, its crowded and would bother people near me. i want to save my battery for the airport when i'll most likely have internet. however, i might use it to watch some chapelles show or simpsons if it isnt too crowded.
    i wont lie and say i'm not nervous, but i'm pretty independent and i'm not disappointed about flying alone. its just a new experience and i'm looking forward to it. i've done a good amount of flying for my age, although not recently. my dad taught people to fly smaller airplanes when i was younger, and i remember him taking me up, loads of fun.

edit: sorry, i just realized i havent said where i'll be heading after arriving at reno. i'll be staying in south lake tahoe, california. i love lake tahoe.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Most airports charge out the ass for wifi :(

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, that wasn't what I was referring to. You said it was your 2nd flight flying alone, but the 1st where nobody was watching you.(?) I don't know how that's possible, but it does sound creepy.......think "ghosts."